Newbie coupler question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couplers OMG.
I watched some videos and looked at the Kadee site.
But really, is it normal to replace couplers on new trains before you even run them? My problem is, I can't get the new Mantua Light Pacific and new BLI P70 to stay attached. Does a tiny fraction of a millimeter of height difference matter? Looking at these couplers it doesn't seem like they will ever hold very well, tiny plastic things open on one side. (Knuckle?) The train is HO scale.
Thanks

Couplers OMG.
I watched some videos and looked at the Kadee site.
But really, is it normal to replace couplers on new trains before you even run them? My problem is, I can't get the new Mantua Light Pacific and new BLI P70 to stay attached. Does a tiny fraction of a millimeter of height difference matter? Looking at these couplers it doesn't seem like they will ever hold very well, tiny plastic things open on one side. (Knuckle?) The train is HO scale.
Thanks
There could be many reasons why couplers don't stay coupled. Is one of the couplers actually opening or do they cone apart even if closed? If the former you probably have a bad coupler. If the latter, there may be a height mismatch or one of them could be sagging in the pocket. This could be corrected bu washers or shims. Personally I prefer using Kadees, some of the kadee compatible are ok but not of the same quality. Admittedly it's been a while since I worked on couplers since i am now into traction.

There could be many reasons why couplers don't stay coupled. Is one of the couplers actually opening or do they cone apart even if closed? If the former you probably have a bad coupler. If the latter, there may be a height mismatch or one of them could be sagging in the pocket. This could be corrected bu washers or shims. Personally I prefer using Kadees, some of the kadee compatible are ok but not of the same quality. Admittedly it's been a while since I worked on couplers since i am now into traction.

I still can't figure out what I'm missing. No coupling directions came with the new engine or car. All the parts seem to be working, but it takes five minutes of finagling, wearing strong reading glasses, to get them to fit together, and then the P70 doesn't want to stay straight behind the tender, its coupler is off to one side. I don't have any track yet, so maybe it just won't stay attached if there isn't track to keep them level? Guess I'll order some Kadees and try that. I hope by "into traction" you don't mean you are in traction! Thanks for your reply!

Back