Newbie rail rider

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone I'm new to this site and to rail travel, I'm finally going to do something I wanted to do for a lifetime and that is ride the rails. I did book a trip to florida last year but had to cancel it and drive when a freight train hit a bridge in the Carolinas and passenger service was delayed for a few days just on the day I was to leave. Go figure my luck (LOL) Anyway I boked again for this year and vowed to take the train no matter what and go as far as I can even if I have to rent a car for the rest of the trip. :lol: Back to my trip I will be leaving Philly on May 10 and arrive in Orlando on May 11 I booked a Handicapped room because I'm dissabled and will be taking my wife and grandaughter with me does anyone have any suggestions for this first timer as to using baggage and what to take with me in room, getting around on train, eating on train, etc. I will be taking Train #97 South and then #92 North anything you can tell me about what to expect would be appreciated

Thank You,

Hello everyone I'm new to this site and to rail travel, I'm finally going to do something I wanted to do for a lifetime and that is ride the rails. I did book a trip to florida last year but had to cancel it and drive when a freight train hit a bridge in the Carolinas and passenger service was delayed for a few days just on the day I was to leave. Go figure my luck (LOL) Anyway I boked again for this year and vowed to take the train no matter what and go as far as I can even if I have to rent a car for the rest of the trip. :lol: Back to my trip I will be leaving Philly on May 10 and arrive in Orlando on May 11 I booked a Handicapped room because I'm dissabled and will be taking my wife and grandaughter with me does anyone have any suggestions for this first timer as to using baggage and what to take with me in room, getting around on train, eating on train, etc. I will be taking Train #97 South and then #92 North anything you can tell me about what to expect would be appreciated

Thank You,
I am also new to Amtak, I took my first trip last Saturday on the Cresent from Atlanta to Birmingham and return. I think most of your questions can be answered by going to Antraks website, there you will find about eating on the train and what to bring. Also I am sure you will get replys from others on this site about you questions.

Have a great trip.

Hello New Rider!

Biggest thing that making you enjoyable on train is be flexible with your schedule. Almost all of Amtrak trains run on tracks that are owned by freight trains such as BNSF, Canadian National, NS, UP, etc. Most of freights are slow or reaching the point of congestion, so be flexible with your schedule.

There are very helpful hints from On-Track-On-Line website.

Back