Newbie to forum; long time train rider/fan

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all…….

After a very helpful exchange on dining on the Texas Eagle, i think I had better get my “paperwork” in order.
So, lessseee…….

Leex: nickname from high school ; based on last name Leekley; better than other possible spellings.

I've been riding trains off and on since high school: back and forth up and down the east coast. I remember struggling to get from Grand Central to Penn Station following the red/green lights in the subway caverns. (Shoutout to the member - forget his name - who displays the Boston and Main logo. Haven’t seen that in a LONG time!) Only very occasional trips in the ‘middle years’ (anyone remember the ‘slumber coach’?) and started taking the train again in the 90’s from Milwaukee to Albany (to see a client in northern New York) and to visit my mother who lived on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

Now retired but still make the trip to northern NYS.

Live in Hawaii (ran into this cute Hawaiian gal in college, and that, as they say, was that), but more and more will be staying with daughter and son-in-law in Tucson or, alternatively, Seattle.

I think I have ridden all of the long distance trains at one time or another except the Auto Train and the Carolinian.

I usually bring along a small VHF/UHF ham radio HT (WB9SMM) programmed for the railroad frequencies and listen to the back and forth. But I suspect that when it’s gets really interesting resort is made to cellphones. Still interesting though.

REALLY glad I found this forum: good info, entertaining, and decent people.

Further your affiant sayeth not.

Last edited:
Hello all…….

After a very helpful exchange on dining on the Texas Eagle, i think I had better get my “paperwork” in order.
So, lessseee…….

Leex: nickname from high school ; based on last name Leekley; better than other possible spellings.

I've been riding trains off and on since high school: back and forth up and down the east coast. I remember struggling to get from Grand Central to Penn Station following the red/green lights in the subway caverns. (Shoutout to the member - forget his name - who displays the Boston and Main logo. Haven’t seen that in a LONG time!) Only very occasional trips in the ‘middle years’ (anyone remember the ‘slumber coach’?) and started taking the train again in the 90’s from Milwaukee to Albany (to see a client in northern New York) and to visit my mother who lived on the Eastern Shore of Maryland.

Now retired but still make the trip to northern NYS.

Live in Hawaii (ran into this cute Hawaiian gal in college, and that, as they say, was that), but more and more will be staying with daughter and son-in-law in Tucson or, alternatively, Seattle.

I think I have ridden all of the long distance trains at one time or another except the Auto Train and the Carolinian.

I usually bring along a small VHF/UHF ham radio HT (WB9SMM) programmed for the railroad frequencies and listen to the back and forth. But I suspect that when it’s gets really interesting resort is made to cellphones. Still interesting though.

REALLY glad I found this forum: good info, entertaining, and decent people.

Further your affiant sayeth not.
Welcome! Look forward to hearing about your trips! Let us know what we can help you with!

Back