Newest Nightjet sleepers from Siemens

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
High speed as in Europe and Asia will never happen here in my lifetime. Getting track beds smoothed out to support 125 mph it seems would not only benefit LD passenger travel, but also enhance freight movement. Why is this type of “night jet” service seemingly unattainable for both people and things in this country?
One thing to note, as has been pointed out by others, is that Nightjet service is somewhat similar to trains like the Capitol and Lake Shore Limited and perhaps the CONO. Hence its equipment is geared towards such service. Most of Amtrak's LD trains, including the Silvers would not be operated with Nightjet like sleeping facilities. The fact of the much longer journeys taken together with American taste for more space and privacy would require adapting things taking those factors into account. For that reason I don't see buying off the shelf European or Asian Sleepers (Couchettes, new Nightjet luxurious Coffins, 2 and 3 Tier open berths etc.) as a viable alternative. Only their highest class compartments which unlike their use, are never shared, would be the only thing that can be easily adapted.

As for 125mph, American freight trains have much higher axle loads than European ones and there are way many more of them, which would make keeping the tracks maintained for 125mph quite a bit more expensive, usually for little value to the freight operations. Amtrak with its limited funds is probably better off spending the money on more 80-100mph trains than on track maintenance for 125mph trains in these circumstances. Having said that, as shorter corridors are developed, those can be done for 110-125mph and any LD trains traveling on those would benefit, like they do on the Northeast Corridor or Empire Corridor.

As for 125mph, American freight trains have much higher axle loads than European ones and there are way many more of them, which would make keeping the tracks maintained for 125mph quite a bit more expensive, usually for little value to the freight operations.
I don't believe there are many European night trains that run at 125mph either. The cars are specced for this speed, but this is not so much to squeeze a commercial advantage out of higher speeds, but to be able to push the train up to that speed on some shorter sections so as not to obstruct other trains. It may also be a technical consequence of using many common parts with day trains. On the contrary, time is not such a factor on many night trains. Passengers would not appreciate very early arrivals, and so schedules often have a lot of padding.

China is different of course.

I don't believe there are many European night trains that run at 125mph either. The cars are specced for this speed, but this is not so much to squeeze a commercial advantage out of higher speeds, but to be able to push the train up to that speed on some shorter sections so as not to obstruct other trains. It may also be a technical consequence of using many common parts with day trains. On the contrary, time is not such a factor on many night trains. Passengers would not appreciate very early arrivals, and so schedules often have a lot of padding.

China is different of course.
I don’t think too many of the classic Chinese Sleeper trains run at 125 mph either. At least not for substantial parts of their journey.

Back