Newton, KS

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Has anyone been to or familiar with Newton, KS? I have a wedding to go to in Newton, KS and was wondering if anyone has used the station here. I would be taking the SWC into Newton, but due to work I'll have to fly into Witchita and rent a car one-way. It looks like Hertz will let me do that for a descent price and I can drop it off at the Newton Airport. I'm not sure where I'm going to take the train when I leave but I figure I better, because, when else am I going to Newton, KS for? It happens to be an Amtrak stop and I also enjoy using the smaller stations. Also wanted to know if anything would be open at 3:30 am near the station?

i have been to newton recently and took this picture:

STH70131.jpg

the station is officially open during the hours the train arrives, but we found it open during the daytime. it's right in the middle of downtown, but i doubt anything will be open at 3 AM (i stopped through by car on the way back from hutchinson). kansas bars close at 2 AM.

you might also browse this site for info: http://www.infonewtonks.org/

Depending on the day, Drubers Donuts is open overnight. It's just a couple blocks from the station, an easy walk. You can get a morning paper there, too.

FYI, there is a Hertz agent just across the tracks from the station on 4th Street. They open around 8 a.m., and I have found them to be much handier to work with on rentals than the airport, which is several miles away. Check the Hertz Web site and you'll find them.

Depending on the day, Drubers Donuts is open overnight. It's just a couple blocks from the station, an easy walk. You can get a morning paper there, too.
FYI, there is a Hertz agent just across the tracks from the station on 4th Street. They open around 8 a.m., and I have found them to be much handier to work with on rentals than the airport, which is several miles away. Check the Hertz Web site and you'll find them.
Ooh, I like that. Guess I turn in the car there and just leave the keys inside. I was wondering how to get from the airport to the station in the wee hours. I wish I could take the train there, but I'm here in LAX and stuck at a seminar until tomorrow and wouldn't make the wedding on time. And it would be a perfect chance to take the SWC which i haven't done. I would take it back but I'd be back in LA again....I really want to see Raton Pass.

Raton Pass is very nice. It's interesting that if you're going northbound (or eastbound), you'll be in Colorado once you exit the tunnel.

Comes in second is Pecos valley. After that is NM/AZ border.

Newton is muy favorite station on the entire Amtrak system. It is the best looking station in Kansas and the only one with a agent. My first Amtrak trip started and ended there. There needs to be more stations like Newton in our nation's rail system. A public parking lot in across the steet from the station.

Has anyone been to or familiar with Newton, KS? I have a wedding to go to in Newton, KS and was wondering if anyone has used the station here. I would be taking the SWC into Newton, but due to work I'll have to fly into Witchita and rent a car one-way. It looks like Hertz will let me do that for a descent price and I can drop it off at the Newton Airport. I'm not sure where I'm going to take the train when I leave but I figure I better, because, when else am I going to Newton, KS for? It happens to be an Amtrak stop and I also enjoy using the smaller stations. Also wanted to know if anything would be open at 3:30 am near the station?
There is an awesome donut shop that is open. Just ask the Train Station mgr. and he'll direct you.

We ate there last week, and will go back.

What is long-term parking like here? Someone mentioned a lot across the street, is that on the west side of Main Street? Or is it better to have a friend pick up my car & take it home the next day? I'm trying to avoid getting a ride to the station at oh-dark-thirty in the morning :giggle:

Mine will probably be a one-way trip from Newton.

I've heard that Newton, KS would be the northern end of an extension of the Heartland Flyer. My guess is that there would be two thru-cars; a coach and a sleeper. Does anyone know how much space Amtrak would have for switching?

I've heard that Newton, KS would be the northern end of an extension of the Heartland Flyer. My guess is that there would be two thru-cars; a coach and a sleeper. Does anyone know how much space Amtrak would have for switching?
If they do extend the Heartland Flyer to meet the Southwest Chief in Newton then that station would be quite busy in the middle of the night.

I travel out of Newton at least once a year. It is a small town where I have no promblem leaving my car there for a week. The lot is behind a busness right across from the station on Main Street. When you get you car parked contact 911 and give them your car info. That includes your car tag number, you return date and your name. The police station is three blocks from the station.

Several years ago I left my car at Newton for several days; the Agent said park in the Santa Fe employee lot about a block west of the station. He added between the lot being lighted and railroad workers around there 24/7 it would be fine. And when I got back it was.

When you get you car parked contact 911 and give them your car info.
Calling 911 in a non-emergency situation is generlly against the law and can result in hefty fines.
Actually, I seem to recall that inside the station, they have a posting with the local direct phone number for the sheriff office where you call in your info. All they ask is that you park to the side of the lot closest to the post office (away from main street). I've parked there several times, and had absolutely no issues. The station itself used to be a Harvey House diner - at one time Harvey had a diner in the station, a local hotel, and a dairy outside of town. The upstairs of the station (now offices) was the dormitory space for the Harvey Girls. The local law office that owns the station has a nice little writeup on the station history with some pictures, might try googling the link.

When you get you car parked contact 911 and give them your car info.
Calling 911 in a non-emergency situation is generlly against the law and can result in hefty fines.
Actually, I seem to recall that inside the station, they have a posting with the local direct phone number for the sheriff office where you call in your info. All they ask is that you park to the side of the lot closest to the post office (away from main street). I've parked there several times, and had absolutely no issues. The station itself used to be a Harvey House diner - at one time Harvey had a diner in the station, a local hotel, and a dairy outside of town. The upstairs of the station (now offices) was the dormitory space for the Harvey Girls. The local law office that owns the station has a nice little writeup on the station history with some pictures, might try googling the link.
From the Newton, KS website (the official city site):

Free parking is available for anyone taking the Amtrak train out of Newton. The designated parking area is located to the west of the Train Depot, across Main Street, behind the business located just north of the railroad tracks. (This is the far-east end of the U.S. Post Office parking lot.) No registration is required, but you do have the option of leaving your vehicle information and contact information with Harvey County 911, if you so desire.

Harvey County 911​
316-283-4190

I'm reviving a bit of an old post here.

Are they any hotels in the downtown area, within walking distance of the train station? Or, that run a 24-hour shuttle? What about taxi service? I need to find a place to hang out from the time the SWC arrives to when I can pick up a car after 8 AM; would I be allowed to wait in the station for that long of a time? I could walk to the afore-mentioned donut shop, but don't want to be dragging luggage; is there storage available at the station? I'll be doing some work in Wichita, and am trying to figure out a way to work Amtrak into the trip.

Thanks!

The station hours state that it is open until 8 am Monday to Friday, but closed after 4 am on weekends. I drove through town last summer and looked in the station during the day and the building was open, as it has offices. My guess would be that the place would be locked after 4 am on a weekend. I don't believe there is a ticket agent on duty weekends.

Brings back memories of one trip I changed trains there, from the eastbound Southwest Limited at 2:35 AM, to the southbound Lone Star at 4:15 AM.....

Not much to do anyplace at that hour, but I remember the handsome large brick station. I was an avid timetable collector in those years, so I asked the agent where I could possibly obtain an ATSF employee timetable. He told me to go to the telegraph office upstairs in the division offices. I went up there, and asked an employee where the telegraph office was. He pointed me in the right direction. I went there, and asked a clerk for one. He went over and got me one, and without question handed it to me. I thanked him, and went back down to the waiting room.

About twenty minutes later, I went out onto the platform to watch a freight train go by. As I walked down the deserted platform, a gentleman came out of a hidden spot behind a column, and flashed a railway special agent's badge at me. He then questioned me as to who I was, where I was going, and why had I asked for the telegraph office. I answered all his questions, and then he asked to see my ID, and train ticket. I showed it to him, and apparently satisfied that I wasn't a 'terrorist' or something, thanked me, wished me a pleasant trip, and said goodnight....

Interesting little bit of drama at 3:30 in the morning. Good to know that the station was so secure....... :)

I experienced a similar event one time when walking from the Hotel Roanoke at around 4:00 AM past the N&W depot to catch an early morning Trailways bus....the special agent even gave me a ride over to the bus depot..... :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back