Next Roomette Deal?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JamesKY70

Hi y'all,

I have been planning my and my fiancé's honeymoon, deciding to take Amtrak and stay in roomettes. However, we cannot afford a large trip and was waiting for deals. Does anyone know when the next roomette sale will be? I know they have not had one since last year, so I am assuming it will be happening soon. Also, are roomette's comfortable for two people to travel in? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

James

Hi y'all,

I have been planning my and my fiancé's honeymoon, deciding to take Amtrak and stay in roomettes. However, we cannot afford a large trip and was waiting for deals. Does anyone know when the next roomette sale will be? I know they have not had one since last year, so I am assuming it will be happening soon. Also, are roomette's comfortable for two people to travel in? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

James
Honestly, if you are going to take your Honeymoon on a LD Train, a Bedroom is a MUST( they are Very Expensive, but this is a Once in a Lifetime Trip No?)

You didn't indicate where you're starting from, so that would help, as would where you'd like to stay, the sights you want to see etc.

Since the Canadian Dollar is so Low against the Green Back right now, I suggest Looking into possibly riding on the Canadian in a Cabin for 2, either from Vancouver to say Jasper, , and stay in an Inn in this Beautiful Little Resort Town, then back to Vancouver on the Canadian.( it only runs 2 days a Week).

If you're closer to Toronto, I suggest you take the Canadian from there to say, Winnipeg, spend a night and Fly home from there.( if you can afford it)

I would not count on Amtrak discounting roomettes any time soon, but I really do not know. I personally do not find roomettes comfortable for 2, but others may. When I traveled with my ex (who is 6'3" and over 200 pounds), I found it quite uncomfortable sharing a roomette with him. If you both are small, it may work. I know there are forum members who traveled on Amtrak for their honeymoons. However, I do not know if they got roomettes or bedrooms.

Amtrak occasionally runs a special offer where a second person in a room does not pay any rail fare (the first person always pays railfare plus the accommodation charge). They refer to this as a "Buy-One-Get-One" offer, but in fact most of the cost of a room is the accommodation charge.

These special offers are rare, and may not offer as much savings as buying a room as soon as possible, then watching (i.e., checking every day) to see if a lower fare is available, then getting a price adjustment. Also, trains may sell out completely, so booking early is a good idea for peak-season travel.

Honestly, if you are going to take your Honeymoon on a LD Train, a Bedroom is a MUST( they are Very Expensive, but this is a Once in a Lifetime Trip No?)

You didn't indicate where you're starting from, so that would help, as would where you'd like to stay, the sights you want to see etc.

Since the Canadian Dollar is so Low against the Green Back right now, I suggest Looking into possibly riding on the Canadian in a Cabin for 2, either from Vancouver to say Jasper, , and stay in an Inn in this Beautiful Little Resort Town, then back to Vancouver on the Canadian.( it only runs 2 days a Week).

If you're closer to Toronto, I suggest you take the Canadian from there to say, Winnipeg, spend a night and Fly home from there.( if you can afford it)
Also, consider this: In a roomette, you'll be sleeping in separate berths, lower & upper. In a bedroom, the lower berth is slightly wider, where you might be able to fit the 2 of you into it together -- if you get real close. ;) You also get a private bathroom & shower, in the bedroom only.

I don't recall whether the lower berth in a cabin for 2 on the Canadian is also wide enough for 2 together.

In the USA, it's generally agreed that the most scenic route is the California Zephyr. It runs between Chicago & SF, but the great scenery is between Denver & Sacramento, crossing both the Rockies & the Sierras.

Amtrak occasionally runs a special offer where a second person in a room does not pay any rail fare (the first person always pays railfare plus the accommodation charge). They refer to this as a "Buy-One-Get-One" offer, but in fact most of the cost of a room is the accommodation charge.
If you sign up as a member of this board, you may be able to get the same deal by snagging a spare "Companion Coupon" here. But as stated, the railfare portion of the total ticket cost is quite small, roughly equal to the cost of a full fare coach ticket.

Last edited:
I am a bit jaded right now.

Honeymoon I would look in to the Canadian. You do want a extra special trip. That said there are train here in the US that can be quite nice. A bedroom will be required for train travel post wedding. Otherwise it might be the beginning of the end. Yeah when your in your 70s then you can consider two roomettes. Just not a trip called a honeymoon trip.

Sorry

Hi y'all,

Sincerely,

James
We took our honeymoon in Vancouver and finished off on the view train from Vancouver to Banff. That was in 1996. It was amazing.

https://www.rockymountaineer.com/tr...VyCZMCh37NQEFEAAYAyAAEgKZSvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hi y'all,

Sincerely,

James
With today's shorter trains and lack of transition sleepers the only way I know to get any kind of deal on a roomette is to book coach and bid for an upgrade. The problem is what do you do if the upgrade fails? A honeymoon stuck in Amtrak coach is not much of a honeymoon at all. Hope things work out well.

I agree with others above who've suggested that VIA Rail's Canadian would provide a better honeymoon experience than anything Amtrak has to offer at this point. To me, even VIA's Ocean, which runs overnight between Montreal and Halifax, would be preferable to any of Amtrak's offerings.

Also agree that if you do want to go on Amtrak, a bedroom would be much nicer for two than a roomette.

If you do decide to go ahead in a roomette, in my opinion the Viewliner sleepers (which run on all the eastern trains except the Capitol Limited) are much less uncomfortable for two than the Superliner sleepers (which cover all the trains west of Chicago and New Orleans as well as the Capitol Limited in the east). The Viewliner upper bunk has its own window and room to sit up in bed; the Superliner upper has no window and a very low ceiling directly above it. In either case, it would be pretty much impossible to fit two in a bunk.

However, at the moment the meal service is embarrassingly poor on all of the eastern trains -- i.e., all of the Viewliner runs -- although the NYC-Florida trains are expected to get some sort of upgrade soon. Currently there are only five western trains (Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, California Zephyr, Southwest Chief, Sunset Limited) that offer traditional dining car service, but they all run with Superliner sleeper cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back