Niece will start rail commuting, need gift ideas for her

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 34-yr-old biologist niece got a great job starting the end of May, and will start commuting by rail (Wickford RI to PVD) to get there. Any ideas for a fun or useful "commuter" gift for her birthday tomorrow? (Yes, I am late to ask this question.) A book of tickets would be nice, but she's probably already got her monthly pass or whatever. Rail music/podcast, books, hat/T-shirt? She is not a train freak like us but is proud to take the train instead of driving. Thanks for any thoughts

I have a small, light cloth purse (it might have been a makeup purse—I don’t remember when or where I got it) that I keep my SEPTA Key card and NJT paper tickets in, as well as my store rewards cards (CVS, Panera, etc.). I keep it in whatever pocketbook I am using, and if I switch pocketbooks, it moves easily to the new one. And I’m not wondering where I put this or that ticket or card.

Maybe a small cloth purse like that, with a gift card inside from one of her favorite coffee shops or restaurants?

I have a small, light cloth purse (it might have been a makeup purse—I don’t remember when or where I got it) that I keep my SEPTA Key card and NJT paper tickets in, as well as my store rewards cards (CVS, Panera, etc.). I keep it in whatever pocketbook I am using, and if I switch pocketbooks, it moves easily to the new one. And I’m not wondering where I put this or that ticket or card.

Maybe a small cloth purse like that, with a gift card inside from one of her favorite coffee shops or restaurants?

Great idea, I have one of those small cloth/canvas zip-purses and it saves me. It is barely bigger than the credit cards and money so it fits in every pocket. Thanks.

The best thing I ever did to improve my commute was buy a durable backpack that carried everything I needed with a place for everything. The difficulty with this suggestion is that it requires time to identify everything needed and to find something that meets those requirements in a practical way.

I'll spy on her current backpack(s), but she is probably all set with that. Good idea though.

Does she already have an e-reader or tablet? If so, I'm thinking something along the lines of an Amazon gift card (if she has a Kindle) or an Apple gift card (if she has an iPad), with the "suggestion" that she could use them to buy e-books to read on her commute.

She does, and good suggestion. I did research on whether there was a book about rail commuting and came across one that seemed promising because it was by a conductor, but a review made it sound casually sexist and she wouldn't like that.

A sleep mask is always nice, especially if she's taking an early train in the morning.

This gives me an idea that would take more time, but I could do it for her first day of work - the 31st. A commuter kit that includes small things like the sleep mask, cloth purse, gift card, mini-umbrella, snack, a Providence souvenir, a taser, etc. Thanks everybody!

This gives me an idea that would take more time, but I could do it for her first day of work - the 31st. A commuter kit that includes small things like the sleep mask, cloth purse, gift card, mini-umbrella, snack, a Providence souvenir, a taser, etc. Thanks everybody!

That sounds perfect! (Except the taser, of course—I assume you were joking? Anybody gives her trouble, she could just use the umbrella to push them into the tourist pool. But not when the fire things are going!😮)

Back