NIMBYS - Your Thoughts?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A small video camera could record the crossing action like police body cameras fixing the blame where
it is almost always the fault of the motorist for the inattention.
Would not need all the fancy camera lighting action at rural crossings - only at major city crossings with
a history of collisions.
I've previously suggested a simple solution - cameras activated when the crossing protection is activated which simply record anything seen until shortly after the arms are raised and lights shut off. No data transmission is needed, just a simple SD card that records what is seen (and overwritten when data space is needed) so police or RR people can, after the fact, pull the card.

Better would be another that only records any activity crossing the tracks at the same time so offenders could be caught and (optionally) cited. Something like red light cameras only with multiple warning signs they are activate (prevention is the key) and not government "adjusted" as some red light camera intersections have been to shorten yellow lights only at camera locations. Red light cameras are mostly money makers otherwise they would have a clear warning sign next to the camera.
Since prevention would be the primary purpose, the first citation would be a warning (unless of course it is the driver's last act).

A motion detector lighting up an intersection at night could prompt the train engineer to blow the horn. That should be inexpensive.

I've seen lots of trucks with more lights than a locomotive. I guess the train doesn't need blinkers or stoplights but more lights than just a single headlight should attract some attention.

Those old technology “Mars Lights”, did a pretty good job. Their gyrating beams would certainly catch your attention...

I was a Realtor in a former life, and when my clients asked me, "Are HOA's a good or a bad thing?" I would tell them the following...
"HOA's are a huge PAIN when you want to make a small improvement to your house that you have always wanted and that would be really cool. They are a huge SAVIOR when your neighbor wants to do some idiotic 'improvement' to his house that would be hideous."
And then I would look right at them and smile. Most of them thought that was really funny or insightful. Though there were a few that didn't get it. LOL!
In my book, HOA's have more good than bad, but there is plenty of both. As long as you stay out of the politics of it.

Ha! Tell that to overbearing HOA's (Home Owner's Association's)...;)

Also, install the cross-arms far enough back from the tracks that a vehicle getting caught "inadvertently" inside the arms can pull forward or back up far enough to clear the tracks without driving through the arms.

A motion detector lighting up an intersection at night could prompt the train engineer to blow the horn. That should be inexpensive.

I've seen lots of trucks with more lights than a locomotive. I guess the train doesn't need blinkers or stoplights but more lights than just a single headlight should attract some attention.

peterbiltsbilt-chicken-lights (1).jpg

These are really cheap but hard to miss at night.

Back