Nippon (NS) is just fading away

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that would explain why even Metra is dumping them (or opening up) - there was an item in "On the Bi-Level" talking about how their recent RFP only had one taker and they decided to "open things up" and consider other car types than the gallery bi-levels that we've been using.

Well, that would explain why even Metra is dumping them (or opening up) - there was an item in "On the Bi-Level" talking about how their recent RFP only had one taker and they decided to "open things up" and consider other car types than the gallery bi-levels that we've been using.
This is getting off topic but do the Highliner EMUs even count as gallery cars?

Why not? That's what they are, aren't they?

Of course, they do.

Of course, they do.
Thanks. Wasn't sure if that only referred to the original low entry non-powered cars.

Besides the wide center entrance, the ICRR Highliner's featured one end door with a trap, that could be used at high or low platforms...

Besides the wide center entrance, the ICRR Highliner's featured one end door with a trap, that could be used at high or low platforms...
Thanks. So I take it the term "gallery car" refers only to the interior layout, then?
Correct....the "upper levels" were sort of like balconies looking down at the main level...

I liked the former "BiLevel 400" intercity cars, that Amtrak acquired from the C&NW... They had reclining seats, and some bar cars, too.
default_cool.png

The "gallery" car design features 2x2 seating on the first level with a balcony (or gallery) with individual seats and benches on the upper level. The current N-S built Highliners have a trap at each center door to allow low level entry and exit in case of emergencies.

Those C&NW intercity galleries were fine cars. Too bad none survive in active service.

The "gallery" car design features 2x2 seating on the first level with a balcony (or gallery) with individual seats and benches on the upper level. The current N-S built Highliners have a trap at each center door to allow low level entry and exit in case of emergencies.

Those C&NW intercity galleries were fine cars. Too bad none survive in active service.
Yeah I've been on CalTrain and VRE galleries many times, and love them. Such a cool layout and such a pretty exterior. I just wasn't sure about what the name itself came from.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the best features of the galleries, IMHO, was the abundance of individual seats....very rare in a coach...

The closure kind of sucks for Illinois, but maybe it will bring some fresh ideas to Metra. I was soooo hoping that the newer Metro North (iirc) cars would have mysteriously been lost en route to NYC and stayed in Chicago for MED over the bilevels - if Metra ever really needs to increase service they will need cars with more doors than they have to speed up dwell times, but that is REALLY off topic.

As an aside, what I understood about the current highliners is they basically took the gallery car and made the shell into an EMU. Obviously, there was just a bit more to it. The South Shore's highliners are slightly different - wider doors with no pillar and a third door at one end (like the old highliners had).

The traps are used at the yard daily on some runs for crew and staff Dropovs and Pickups (yeah, I mangled Car Talks chauffeurs).

Back