NJ Transit Push Pull Trains.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak Railfan

OBS Chief
On the New York Bound Trains on the Northeast Corridor line on the push pull Trains is the Cab Car moves the train to New York Penn Station or with a ALP-46 or ALP-44s? pulls to the Station? And I saw yesterday at Penn Station New York has a Eastbound Train pulling in to the Station with a ALP46. :)

AlanB said:
There is no set rule. The cab car can be leading or the ALP motor can be leading.
Alan is correct, but I usually see the Engine facing inbound on the Morris and Essex Lines, but it does vary.

I spotted one of the new engines parked on a siding near the new Secaucus (forgive my spelling) station near the tunnel to New York penn yesterday. I was not sure why they are holding it on the siding there?

AMTRAK-P42 said:
I thought of that. I also thought it could be to test the wires under the new station to make sure they all work well...
Most likely it was there as a rescue engine, either that or it broke down and they left it there.

It would be highly unlikely that it was being used to test the overhead wires though for two reasons. One, those are Amtrak tracks and wires, they don't belong to NJT. Secondly Amtrak has a specially designed car that they use for checking wires.

This car has special equipment, including video tape, that they use to check voltage, tension, alignment, and half a dozen other things related to the catenary. While I've not seen Amtrak's car, I have been inside the car that Metro North uses to check their catenary. It's pretty cool with all of it's high tech equipment.

I saw the New Comet II Car on the Atlantic City line in Atlantic City NJ in May 2003 (this year) and I saw the Comet IVs on the Atllantic City line and I rode it on May 20 2003.

Amtrak Railfan said:
I saw the New Comet II Car on the Atlantic City line in Atlantic City NJ in May 2003 (this year) and I saw the Comet IVs on the Atllantic City line and I rode it on May 20 2003.
Ok, I've seen every generation of Comet Coaches, and have ridden all but Comet I's. Where do you live anyway?

Viewliner said:
AlanB said:
There is no set rule.  The cab car can be leading or the ALP motor can be leading.
Alan is correct, but I usually see the Engine facing inbound on the Morris and Essex Lines, but it does vary.
ALP-44/46 powered push-pulls have no set rule as far as Midtown Direct is concerned.

In general, for short three car ALP-powered push-pulls substituting for 3 Arrow IIIs on Hoboken-Dover or Hoboken-Gladstone runs the ALP is always on the West end (i.e. away from Hoboken end) of the train). This may be true in general of all electric powered push-pulls out of Hoboken, but I can't vouch for it.

For diesel powered push-pulls out of Hoboken the diesel power is always on the West end of the train. This is true on all diesel lines out of Hoboken (M&E, Montclair-Boonton, Main, Bergen, Pascack Valley, Raritan Valley, NJCL).

All NJT M&E trains pass by my home here in Short Hills so I get to see quite a few of them to form general impressions. By my home is also the place where they get stuck slipping and sliding in adverse track conditions like in fall.

Jishnu.

Since deadhead trains are not shown in the normal passenger schedules, it's unlikely that anyone is going to know what times you can see deadhead moves.

One has to work for the train company or live right next to the tracks, in order to know what times trains are deadheaded. While I suppose that I could be surprised, I'm not aware of any of our members who work for the RR's that you've asked about.

So please don't be surprised if no one answers your questions about deadhead movements.

Amtrak Railfan said:
When are the old Comet I Passager Cars will be out of service?
Probably once all Comet II's are refurbished. I'd try off peak as far as seeing a deadheading train. Some interesting move I've seen (at Short Hills Incidently) include a lone locomotive, or once a diesel hauling a few Comet's and an ALP-44 (Pantograph Down, and on tape).

Amtrak Railfan said:
How many Comet IVs can I see on the NJ Transit Rail line Atlantic City railine and the comet IIs?
I have ridden the NJT Atlantic City Line a few times this calendar year, and it appears to have been totally converted to Comet IV's (once Comet V's came online to the North Jersey lines). At least these trains are of one equipment type, not all mixed up like many trains up in the northern part of the state.

Amtrak Railfan said:
How many Comet Vs are in service?
That is impossible for any of us here to know. Not all of the Comet V's ordered are on the property -- the rest will be delivered soon.

On the Atlantic City Line, I can tell you the answer is zero. Comet V's in North Jersey are dispersed among the North Jersey Coast, Northeast Corridor, Raritan Valley, and the two Midtown Direct routes.

Back