No bedrooms available on Empire Builder

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice to meet you, and I'm glad that you're back. Seem like a great person.

I was on 28 from PDX to CHI in October of 2020, would've been funny if we were on the same train (if you were working the Builder then).

Unfortunately I was on a leave of absence at that point, due to not being able to cross the Canadian border freely.

Of course that is why I would ride!
We are doing a cruise to Alaska out of Sea, end of August. We will probably end up flying..

If I don't end up seeing you, I hope you both have a great trip! I'm jealous, I still want to do an Alaskan cruise some day.

If I don't end up seeing you, I hope you both have a great trip! I'm jealous, I still want to do an Alaskan cruise some day.

Hmm... "The 202X AU Alaska Cruise Gathering"

Let's see...Vancouver, BC- Skytrain, West Coast Express
Skagway- White Pass and Yukon.......

Last edited:
Bon Voyage! (Isn't it great to be able to say that again?). We are doing our first cruise since our last one ended in March, 2020. This time a riverboat (American Empress) from Clarkston to Vancouver at the end of this month...:cool:
We did the American Empress Clarkston to Vancouver in October 2016 - really nice cruise. CS and EB from LA to Spokane and then Vancouver back to LA on the CS.
Next month, we are doing the American Duchess Red Wing, MN to New Orleans. Originally booked CS and EB to Minneapolis but just cancelled that due to CS uncertainties (fire/trestle) at the moment. Re-booked SWC to Chicago and EB to Minneapolis. Return on the SL to Los Angeles.
Enjoy your cruise!

We did the American Empress Clarkston to Vancouver in October 2016 - really nice cruise. CS and EB from LA to Spokane and then Vancouver back to LA on the CS.
Next month, we are doing the American Duchess Red Wing, MN to New Orleans. Originally booked CS and EB to Minneapolis but just cancelled that due to CS uncertainties (fire/trestle) at the moment. Re-booked SWC to Chicago and EB to Minneapolis. Return on the SL to Los Angeles.
Enjoy your cruise!
Thanks!
Enjoy yours, as well!
This will be my first overnite riverboat cruise. Next year, I'm doing a B2B on the American Queen, Alton to Louisville to Pittsburgh. Perhaps I'll do the Red Wing to New Orleans, in late 2023...:cool:
Also have a few ocean cruises booked over next couple of years.
I will also try to fit in a few long Amtrak trips in the mix, as well.
Great that my part time job gives me that flexibility...:)

Now starlight cancelled SEA <> KLS Thru 15th. That is 2 train sets at SEA that can be split up and assigned to Builder ? That is if Amtrak can find OBS persons to man the coaches and sleepers ?

Been observing the train cams at St. Paul Union Depot -
Train #7 EB westbound has added a car to the consist -
Formerly the 2 locomotives - baggage car - 4 units of SEA cars and the cafe concession car (whatever you call -em) and then the 3 Portland cars train #27
Now adding an additional sleeper car to the 4 SEA cars making 5 -
Eastbound train #8 no changes except for add to this from time to time a private varnish car -
some real interesting stuff - but the fixed focus camera does not provide much definition as to the identity

LINK:

Train Cams | UNION DEPOT

Wish that there were more train cams - I am sure there are more but maybe security does not want us watching security - oxymoron of sorts !

Running it upstairs with Bar Snacks [...] would bring in even more Revenue, and would let the Cafe operate downstairs without such long lines when people want to get Alcohol to drink in the Lounge.
I'm with you on that, and it also is consistent with the way the cars were designed to operate. Drink only service upstairs, primarily food service with drinks available downstairs. Although they didn't operate that way for very long.
So instead of creating a buffer zone we're just going to mix everything together like it's the 1970's again? I’d imagine most families want to be subjected to bar chat about as much as most bar patrons want to be held to family etiquette standards. I’m not a fan of Dave & Busters style setups where kids and drinking mix. Perhaps it’s best to allow both groups to relax separately rather than worry too much about the other.

Last edited:
Ill jump in on the Bar/revenue topic: I am guessing that most train riders would know when to "cut them selves off" and not get drunk and disorderly etc. But then that self limiting would keep a lid on revenue. I suspect some would over do it and that would cause problems. Being removed from the train mid route and cleaning up the public bathrooms might not be the most fun for staff .........

Ill jump in on the Bar/revenue topic: I am guessing that most train riders would know when to "cut them selves off" and not get drunk and disorderly etc. But then that self limiting would keep a lid on revenue. I suspect some would over do it and that would cause problems. Being removed from the train mid route and cleaning up the public bathrooms might not be the most fun for staff .........
I can second that it would be terrible on staff.

I worked in a homeless transitional shelter, that used to open emergency overnight in the winter to anyone without a super violent record, could pass a UA/BZ and wasn't banned. But some would just pee right there on their mat on the floor, some wouldnt make it to the bathroom if they got sick, had to pee etc. I started out on thr morning shift that was responsible to clean it up. It's an awful smell, you don't want to be near it but know you have to scrub it. Imagine the coach seats of the passangers that overindulge and wet themselves. Suddenly you're down a seat because someone urinated in it.

The staff is left to clean the wake of what happens. Bars don't have as much of that issue because someone pees they just kick em to the street very little harm done. Someone overindulges on a train, they could wake up in Jail with no recollection of what happened, in a place they don't know, with or without clothes.

So instead of creating a buffer zone we're just going to mix everything together like it's the 1970's again? I’d imagine most families want to be subjected to bar chat about as much as most bar patrons want to be held to family etiquette standards. I’m not a fan of Dave & Busters style setups where kids and drinking mix. Perhaps it’s best to allow both groups to relax separately rather than worry too much about the other.
I'm surprised by this Chris, since you're usually opposed to " The Nanny State"!

I worked in a homeless transitional shelter

I sure admire you for that. But I don't think having a decent bar in the SSL would be any worse than any neighborhood pub. Most patrons can find their way to the toilet without soaking their seat.

In our state kids are welcome in bars if they serve food and have tables. They just have to stay away from the bar stool area.

I janitored for a large movie complex in high school. I learned how to deal with accidents. A box of baking powder works wonders until you can get the mop crew mobilized.

I'm surprised by this Chris, since you're usually opposed to " The Nanny State"!
What we have now is the nanny state version. You can imbibe wherever you please but unless you have a sleeping compartment you must do so in the midst of everyone. This creates a weird "drinking in the park" experience that feels out of place and increases the risk of forced removal. Giving mature passengers their own place to relax and enjoy refreshment away from toddlers and teetotalers would help avoid this paradox. The PPC could have been an amazing bar car but outside of tastings the serving of drinks felt like an afterthought instead of a focal point.

Imagine the coach seats of the passangers that overindulge and wet themselves. Suddenly you're down a seat because someone urinated in it. The staff is left to clean the wake of what happens. Bars don't have as much of that issue because someone pees they just kick em to the street very little harm done. Someone overindulges on a train, they could wake up in Jail with no recollection of what happened, in a place they don't know, with or without clothes.
Amtrak has been serving for decades so if they maintain the same criteria the cleanup should remain the same.

Last edited:
Since Dave and Buster's has been mentioned here several times, I'm going to tell my story.

My employer at the time, Mercedes-Benz, decided to treat us all to a Dave & Buster's evening. Because they were strangely sensible, they told us that we could have one drink coupon but no access to the bar after that.

When I took my coupon to the bar the nice bartender lady said are you the guys with just one drink? When we confirmed that she said well then I'm going to make it a good one and poured about 4 ounces of citron vodka into a glass with ice. We had a very pleasant evening.

Back