No cafe cars, please...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
American Airlines does on the 20-minute flight between CLT and a city nearby. Drink before departure, drink and snack once in the air. At least in first class.

Not so long ago, on one Delta flight operated by Delta's regional carrier between DAY and DTW, a very short flight and an early morning flight, there was beverage service. (Maybe Delta realized that we fliers needed some coffee on at that time of day?)

American Airlines does on the 20-minute flight between CLT and a city nearby. Drink before departure, drink and snack once in the air. At least in first class.

Not according to their website. I fly them ahead of the curtain, and there is currently no pre-departure service on ANY flight.

Not according to their website. I fly them ahead of the curtain, and there is currently no pre-departure service on ANY flight.
A recent comparison report on the "majors" showed only Alaska offering any semblance of pre-Covid front-cabin service domestically. AA eked out only DL by serving a fresh sandwich (for dinner) instead of the latter's box of packaged snacks. The others were somewhere in the middle, but I don't recall any having PDB. (Alaska and one other may have had bottles of water waiting at FC seats.)

Last edited:
A recent comparison report on the "majors" showed only Alaska offering any semblance of pre-Covid front-cabin service domestically. AA eked out only DL by serving a fresh sandwich (for dinner) instead of the latter's box of packaged snacks. The others were somewhere in the middle, but I don't recall any having PDB. (Alaska and one other may have had bottles of water waiting at FC seats.)
When lucky enough to be flying up front on Alaskan they have never served a pre flight drink... and during the flight only one at a time and after two miniatures they will sometimes say you've had enough.

And their 1st class inflight service is also 'minimalist.'

Meh

When lucky enough to be flying up front on Alaskan they have never served a pre flight drink... and during the flight only one at a time and after two miniatures they will sometimes say you've had enough.

And their 1st class inflight service is also 'minimalist.'

Meh
That's odd. I haven't flown Alaska a lot since they don't usually go where I need to go, but on a few AA codeshares I've always been offered at least water or juice pre-departure and found their inflight service decent (and usually better than AA). Routes sampled: PSP-SFO, SAN-BOS, SEA-LAX and LIH-SAN.

That's odd. I haven't flown Alaska a lot since they don't usually go where I need to go, but on a few AA codeshares I've always been offered at least water or juice pre-departure and found their inflight service decent (and usually better than AA). Routes sampled: PSP-SFO, SAN-BOS, SEA-LAX and LIH-SAN.
Which also indicates their inconsistent service.

Pre covid I’ve always had pre departure drink of choice and full size drinks and snacks on AA and Delta. Obviously full meals when appropriate.

That includes lots of short hops to ATL on Delta and Dallas on American.

Your mileage may vary of course!

Yep. The same, or similar, comparison also showed that Alaska also offers a good meal for first class in some flights. I think it was by Jeb brooks...

Pre covid I’ve always had pre departure drink of choice and full size drinks and snacks on AA and Delta. Obviously full meals when appropriate.

That includes lots of short hops to ATL on Delta and Dallas on American.

Your mileage may vary of course!
Mirrors my experience on the two airlines I flew most with pre-pandemic. Heck, Delta even had pre-departure Margaritas out of Las Vegas one time!

When lucky enough to be flying up front on Alaskan they have never served a pre flight drink.

I find it quite interesting to read the different experiences that we all have both when we are traveling on Amtrak or when flying.

A Nephew was flying from Washington to Seattle (and connecting to a flight to ANC) on Alaska Airlines. He was strickly a Coach passenger trying to find the cheapest fare he could. On one flight, inexplicably, he was upgraded to First Class, Seat 1A. He called me after he boarded the plane. During the call, the Flight Attendant asked him what his pre-flght beverage preference was. I encouraged him to order a Bloody Mary (he's mostly a non-alcoholic beverage drinker).

He was as surprised at his situation as I was! That's why he called me because he knew I would be interested.

I find it quite interesting to read the different experiences that we all have both when we are traveling on Amtrak or when flying.

A Nephew was flying from Washington to Seattle (and connecting to a flight to ANC) on Alaska Airlines. He was strickly a Coach passenger trying to find the cheapest fare he could. On one flight, inexplicably, he was upgraded to First Class, Seat 1A. He called me after he boarded the plane. During the call, the Flight Attendant asked him what his pre-flght beverage preference was. I encouraged him to order a Bloody Mary (he's mostly a non-alcoholic beverage drinker).

He was as surprised at his situation as I was! That's why he called me because he knew I would be interested.
Good luck or some kind-a luck and chance goes along with travel!

I wish that's happened to me and my family. But nope, just gotta sit in economy for 14 hours.

Not that I mind, I love flying

My last flying experience before everything shut down was a lot like Dakota 400's nephews:

Flying back home from Sacramento in late February 2020 (yes, I considered the CS and Builder, but it wasn't convenient to take the extra 2 days getting home), my flight from Seattle to Kalispell had only 12 passengers on it.

They upgraded everyone to first class, served preflight drinks, and pushed back a few minutes early.

It's the only preflight drink I've ever gotten - and the only first class upgrade I've gotten in the past decade. Once upon a time I got them much more often, maybe one time in ten that I flew.

Back