No Cardinal Train #50 Service to Hinton, WV for the next two trips

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SubwayNut

Conductor
Just noticed this slightly odd service advisory:

Cardinal Train 50: No Service to/from Hinton, WV

Effective on September 27 and October 2, 2013Track work being performed by CSX Railway, will affect Train 50 as described below:

Eastbound Train 50: Hinton, West Virginia
  • On September 27 and October 2 train 50 will not stop at Hinton, WV.
  • Amtrak will not provide alternate transportation to Hinton, WV; however, passengers are encouraged to travel to or from the Amtrak staffed station at Prince, WV or the Amtrak unstaffed station at Alderson, WV.
  • Prince is approximately 23 miles west of Hinton, located at 5034 Stanaford Road, Prince, WV 25907. Ticketing and baggage assistance is available between 8:45 am - 8:15 pm.
  • Alderson is approximately 23 miles east of Hinton located at 1 Railroad Avenue (C & O Plaza), Alderson, WV 24910. Alderson, WV does not offer ticketing, baggage assistance or wheelchair lift.
Passengers planning travel to or from Hinton, WV may contact Amtrak to inquire about other train options.
Anyone know what's going on, rare trackage opportunity?

I don't know the routing of the Cardinal at all (ridden it just once)

This is a strange advisory. Looking at the map, I don't see a detour route through the area that maintains service to the adjacent stops.

Here's a picture from Wikipedia of the station:

Hinton_West_Virginia_train_station_north.JPG

There's 3 tracks there, maybe there's some construction work on the one by the platform?

But if there were construction equipment in between the train and the platform, I don't think they would lay down boards or have people climb on and walk across the equipment. Or if they had to dig up the track and make like a 3 foot deep hole, , they are not likely to build a "bridge with railings" in the 2 hours before the Cardinal comes and then dismantle it after it departs - and then have to do the same thing the next day too. I think it's easier and allows the work to be completed in 2 days instead of 4-5 days!

If they are doing something to the platform or in the vicinity of the platform why doesn't it affect the westbound Cardinal? I assume 51 is due to stop in Hinton at least once between September 27th and October 2nd.

Here I was all set to write a post about how hardly anyone uses the Hinton station, when I looked

up the figures and found that, lo and behold, it's the 3rd most used station in West Virginia. Who

knew?

Here I was all set to write a post about how hardly anyone uses the Hinton station, when I looked

up the figures and found that, lo and behold, it's the 3rd most used station in West Virginia. Who

knew?
Hey, I used Hinton. We took an "extended" day trip to by train to White Sulphur Springs. Even the other passengers and visitors (about a dozen boarding) thought we were crazy until they thought about it then some of them said that they might do that with their grand-kids.

knew?
Yes, Hinton had 8,742 boardings + alightings in FY2012. For a 3 day a week train or 6 trains a week, that works out to around 28 getting on or off per train. Since this looks like this service disruption was on short notice, there are likely some irritated passengers who were planning to board or disembark at Hinton who are having to change their plans.

If they are doing something to the platform or in the vicinity of the platform why doesn't it affect the westbound Cardinal? I assume 51 is due to stop in Hinton at least once between September 27th and October 2nd.
Don't forget that the Cardinal only operates 3 days a week. Maybe work is not scheduled near the station on the days or times that #50 comes thru.
I have seen announcements stating that "____ will not have service from/to #___ on ____ to ___ and from ____ to ____. Service on #___ (at 10 pm or 3 am) will not be affected on these days!"

Great picture indeed, though I wish the trees were green. Like a bunch of stations in the area, HIN is tucked in between a bunch of mountains and sits along a river.

This is a bizarre announcement.

What would prevent #50 from stopping on those two date which would not prevent #51 from stopping?

Looks like #50 will stop in Hinton tomorrow - Sunday, September 29 but then on the subsequent trip, Wed, Oct 2, will not.

Strange.

That photograph would have looked great in the 'Name That Station' thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back