No checked baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Diane Montoya

Amtrak says no checked baggage. Does that mean I will have to carry on and stow my two pieces of luggage?

Amtrak says no checked baggage. Does that mean I will have to carry on and stow my two pieces of luggage?
You got it! However you are allowed to carry on more than two pieces, there is usually ample storage for luggage on the Trains, Superliners more so than Single level Trains! If you are in a station where there are Redcaps, they will take your Luggage to your room or seat for you and you get to beat the Thundering Hurd when boarding! Best $5 tip going! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, the "2 bag carry on limit" has many exceptions - some of these include:

• coats
  • sweaters
  • purses
  • food & drinks
  • laptops/netbooks
  • pillows
  • blankets
  • car seats
  • strollers
  • etc...

And the storage area above your seat is MUCH bigger than that on planes!
smile.gif
And there is also storage at the end of the car (on single level trains) and on the lower level (on Superliner trains). I have never seen the "2 bag limit" strictly enforced!
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
You got it! However you are allowed to carry on more than two pieces, there is usually ample storage for luggage on the Trains, Superliners more so than Single level Trains! If you are in a station where there are Redcaps, they will take your Luggage to your room or seat for you and you get to beat the Thundering Hurd when boarding! Best $5 tip going! :)
I would think that if Amtrak says no checked baggage, it also means there are no redcaps to use! If there is no check baggage at your boarding station, you will have to carry your own bags on board, but sometimes the Amtrak employees will help you at train side, at least get the bags up the stairs for you. Good luck.

I would think that if Amtrak says no checked baggage, it also means there are no redcaps to use! If there is no check baggage at your boarding station, you will have to carry your own bags on board, but sometimes the Amtrak employees will help you at train side, at least get the bags up the stairs for you. Good luck.
Only major stations have Red Caps. Most stations that have checked baggage don't have Red Caps. On the West Coast, the only station I know for sure that has them is Los Angeles, and maybe Portland and Seattle.

But its possible to board at the major station and where he is getting off does not have baggage service thus they are not allowing checked baggage.... just saying

Only major stations have Red Caps. Most stations that have checked baggage don't have Red Caps. On the West Coast, the only station I know for sure that has them is Los Angeles, and maybe Portland and Seattle.
In addition to the three above all having Red Caps, you can find them at Sacramento and Emeryville too. And I'm pretty sure that Oakland has them too.

If your train doesn't offer checked baggage but your stations do, then you can probably check bags as other baggage-bearing trains likely ply the same route. Your bags will simply travel on a different train than you.

If your station doesn't offer checked baggage, then indeed, carry on!

I will be moving and Amtrak says no checked baggage. does that mean I cant take my baggage? It's two adults and two children traveling. I will have 3-4 suitcases and 3 carry on.

Im traveling alone leaving norfolk VA where there is no checked baggage. I'm moving to Baltimore btw...so I will have about 3 to 4 suitcases not overly big though...will they let me board with my luggae even though it says only allows two carry on and no checked baggage?

Im traveling alone leaving norfolk VA where there is no checked baggage. I'm moving to Baltimore btw...so I will have about 3 to 4 suitcases not overly big though...will they let me board with my luggae even though it says only allows two carry on and no checked baggage?
Amtrak has specific policies that are supposed to discourage bringing luggage/boxes for residential moves. So if it's obvious that you've got moving boxes, that could be cause to deny a piece. Some people have moved using Amtrak and ship their stuff through UPS or FedEx.

http://www.amtrak.com/packing-your-luggage

Contents must be necessary for wear, use, comfort, or convenience of the passenger for the purpose of the trip; items being transported for business or resident relocation not accepted
A few bags probably wouldn't be a big deal. But if it looks like you've got stuff for a move, that could theoretically be an issue.

Ok thank you I wont have any boxes it will just be suitcases mostly clothes and shoes also toiletries

N I don't have a way out Newport news but im just going to ship the rest of the stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back