No Food or Drinks in Club Acela

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TVRM610

Conductor
So there are signs posted at the entrance of Philadelphia and Washington DC Club Acela lounges that outside food and drink are not permitted. This really annoys me. First Class passengers have paid good money and they can't bring in a Starbucks while they sit and wait for their train?

Just to show where my loyalty lies, I chose to wait in the cattle call at DC rather than give up my Jamba Juice!

The first time I used the NYC Club Acela the Attendant told me of an amazing Pizzeria Kitty Korner to the station and told me to go grab a slice or 2 and feel free to bring them back to the Lounge. I did just that and recently even took the long way back from WPB so I could go through NYC and get some more of that great pizza. But this time I ate at the Pizzeria.

In July, I was waiting for a very late Silver Meteor in the CA in WAS. Because of the delay, sleeping car passengers were going to miss dinner on the train. The lounge attendant gave each passenger $25 with which to purchase dinner in the station. The rule prohibiting outside food in CA was relaxed and we were allowed to eat in the lounge, which most of us did.

This is the second time this has happened in my travels and it was handled in a very similar manner. I think Amtrak handled things as best as they could. (The delay was caused by the extreme heat in the Northeast)

Well you could be me.. I bought a Pretzel Dog and 2 Pretzels at Auntie Annes last week. I just snuck it into the lounge in my camera bag. I've snuck Mickey's D's in my Backpack in the past. I just make sure I'm not caught.

BTW, the Lounge in PHL didn't get that much done, the snack area is the same, just some new drinks, and a nice carpet was installed. But I attest that I wouldn't get the carpet for my house. :)

Well you could be me.. I bought a Pretzel Dog and 2 Pretzels at Auntie Annes last week. I just snuck it into the lounge in my camera bag. I've snuck Mickey's D's in my Backpack in the past. I just make sure I'm not caught.
BTW, the Lounge in PHL didn't get that much done, the snack area is the same, just some new drinks, and a nice carpet was installed. But I attest that I wouldn't get the carpet for my house. :)
your type is the reason for the rule in the first place i.e. rules don't apply to you because somehow you're special. Bad attitude

Both me and Mrs. Blackwolf had a latte in our hands when we used the CA in WAS this last December. Not even a glance was made toward them from the attendant as we checked in. As they say, YMMV. ^_^

It's very good pizza indeed!

But my point is why can't a first class passenger bring in a snack? If they are paying that kind of money, they should be able to have a snack.

The Met Lounge in Portland has never had an issue with me bringing in a chocolate soft-serve cone from the news stand.. I've seen many folks waiting for the EB Builder with boxes of VooDoo Donuts.

your type is the reason for the rule in the first place i.e. rules don't apply to you because somehow you're special. Bad attitude

Duly ignored.

I've brought Gioardano's Pizza in the Met Lounge in CHI with no troubles. As well as other PAX using the lounge. I actually got a chuckle out of that.
Aloha

So did a bunch of us on our way to the Boston Gathering.

IMGP7963-L.jpg

Gioardano's Pizza even delivered to the station, we did have a big order.

In July, I was waiting for a very late Silver Meteor in the CA in WAS. Because of the delay, sleeping car passengers were going to miss dinner on the train. The lounge attendant gave each passenger $25 with which to purchase dinner in the station. The rule prohibiting outside food in CA was relaxed and we were allowed to eat in the lounge, which most of us did.
I had something similar several years back, with a late Silver but in the PHL ClubAcela. We were not only invited to bring the food back, but the attendant offered to pay for it (on behalf of Amtrak, not his own money).

So there are signs posted at the entrance of Philadelphia and Washington DC Club Acela lounges that outside food and drink are not permitted. This really annoys me. First Class passengers have paid good money and they can't bring in a Starbucks while they sit and wait for their train?
Possibly due to actual past experience with many First Class passengers not acting very much like First Class people, and leaving the lounge a mess when they ran to catch their train.

What would you usually do with your empty Starbucks cups? No, really? Thought so.

Possibly due to actual past experience with many First Class passengers not acting very much like First Class people, and leaving the lounge a mess when they ran to catch their train.

What would you usually do with your empty Starbucks cups? No, really? Thought so.
Agreed! It is amazing how trashed the CA can get as things stand now.

I bring food to eat on the train - it tastes better on a moving train anyway - into CA and they've never had a problem with me doing that.

Me too, I am a spoiled special person, who clearly has horrible ethics, bribes people, and does't follow the rules, (stoopid as they are). Guess what? If I break a rule, and get called out on it, I don't argue one bit. (Like opening window on Superliner doors). I broke the rule, and gladly, without comment, accept the fine/punishment/sentence.

I have never NOT ONCE, *NOT* taken food into a Club Acela, or Met Lounge. The rule is there, (in my evil twisted interpretation) to help prevent the lounge from becoming excessively messy, requiring more cleaning, etc. Guess what again? I clean up after myself.

Life us made up of all different characters. It wud be truly boring if we were all of the same opinion, thoughts. (think lemmings)

I am that no good, dirty rotten scoundral, who goes against almost everthing that you hold near and dear. (Guess what, to you horror, we are more similar than you wud like to admit)

So, don't let me catch you sneaking food or drink into the Club Acela, for I will likely rat you out!

I've brought Gioardano's Pizza in the Met Lounge in CHI with no troubles. As well as other PAX using the lounge. I actually got a chuckle out of that.
Aloha

So did a bunch of us on our way to the Boston Gathering.

IMGP7963-L.jpg

Gioardano's Pizza even delivered to the station, we did have a big order.
Only could a group of dare I say scary rail fans :ph34r: :lol: get a pizza place about a few blocks away to deliver to CUS. :) :rolleyes:

I will add that when I do sneak food into the Lounge I don't make a mess and if I do I clean it up. But when I take food into the lounge it usually is for partaking on the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Generally, If an establishment serves food and or drink to tables various health regulations and liability issues force them to not allow outside food and drink. If things are arranged with open seating and self serve food/drink, outside food/drink is not a problem (unless its a huge profit center like a pro sports team).

It's because of FDA regulations. Amtrak is Federally regulated, and mandated by Congress to comply with FDA food handling regulations. Same reason that you aren't allowed to bring your own food into the diner, or to use the microwave in the lounge cars.

I call a big bunch of Balougnia! If it was a federal rule than...

1. Agents wouldn't simply say "oh it's fine since the train is late"

2. All of the lounges would have the same policy. There is no signs posted, nor any rule enforced at Chicago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back