No Metro at Rockville station for 3 months

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A heads-up to RKV riders:

The Washington Metro Area Transit Authority (WMATA) has just posted this announcement that there'll be no Metro service at the Rockville station for 3 months, starting Sept. 11, during canopy reconstruction: Metro to begin three-month closure to replace aging platform canopy at Rockville, with additional station improvements to Shady Grove starting September 11 | WMATA. (The Shady Grove station, terminus of that line, is also affected).

"Amtrak and MARC service will continue to operate during construction with no service disruptions at Rockville [RKV]." Nice to know, though limited practical help for rail passengers who transferred to Metro at RKV. A shuttle bus to Twinbrook, the next operational station on the Red Line, is at best inconvenient and at worst feels risky in this pandemic with an unenforced and widely-flouted mask mandate.

That works out to 7 people a train.

Thanks, jis, for providing the Amtrak statistic. I can't find up-to-date statistics for MARC ridership there, but one monthly summary (pre-pandemic) showed approximately 500 "weekday boardings" at RKV, on the Brunswick line. That works out to about 20 to 25 a day.

No, not a big station, but (like New Carrollton) an alternative to busy Union Station in DC and a useful "intermodal" connection.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mta-websit...MARC performance (for Nov 18) - Ridership.pdf

A heads-up to RKV riders:

The Washington Metro Area Transit Authority (WMATA) has just posted this announcement that there'll be no Metro service at the Rockville station for 3 months, starting Sept. 11, during canopy reconstruction: Metro to begin three-month closure to replace aging platform canopy at Rockville, with additional station improvements to Shady Grove starting September 11 | WMATA. (The Shady Grove station, terminus of that line, is also affected).

"Amtrak and MARC service will continue to operate during construction with no service disruptions at Rockville [RKV]." Nice to know, though limited practical help for rail passengers who transferred to Metro at RKV. A shuttle bus to Twinbrook, the next operational station on the Red Line, is at best inconvenient and at worst feels risky in this pandemic with an unenforced and widely-flouted mask mandate.
Before I retired and moved to Texas, Rockville was my "Home Station" for Metro.

It sure has grown since I left, and based on what has happened to Real Estate Prices, I couldn't afford to live there now!

Would probably have to live in Baltimore ( hi Joe!) or Virginia far away from the Potomac and commute on MARC.

Back