No more Email Log In?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe its just me, but I just tried to sign into my AGR account, and it longer says Member Number or email address it only will take your member number now. Seems odd to take a step backwards.

Yeah, I noticed that too. I log on the main Amtrak site with my e-mail and go to AGR from there since I don't have my number memorized.

Hey, at least now I can log in. I have not been able to log in for quite a few days and they have been slow in helping me (via "contact us").

I can't link my Amtrak w/AGR because I had to use a different email with AGR due to not getting their promo emails. Didn't want to miss out on any 30-50% bonus deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have my number memorized.
You don't? You mean your AGR membership number is not the most important number in your life? :D
I can't remember what I did yesterday, let alone a number I use once a year... :p

I am glad that it gets populated automatically when I book a ticket. I know I have the card somewhere, but then I would have to remember where it is... :)

It's been that way for a while. However, if your Amtrak.com and AGR accounts are linked, logging on to Amtrak.com will show a direct link to your AGR account in the upper right corner. I pretty much never log on to AGR directly.

Well, if it's been that way for a while, and I did not notice that I had to use my AGR # (will look at my screenshots when I get home), then why can't AGR tell me that's my problem - that I'm trying to use my email instead of my AGR #.

Well, if it's been that way for a while, and I did not notice that I had to use my AGR # (will look at my screenshots when I get home), then why can't AGR tell me that's my problem - that I'm trying to use my email instead of my AGR #.
And I just got a response (after the initial response which said to clear my cookies, etc) telling me that I'm putting in my email where I should be putting in my AGR #. Maybe they should have posted a banner to let us know they changed the log in procedure.

At least for me, the AGR # is "saved" in my computer and is entered when I go to log in.

And if you don't know your number or have the card, what do you do when you call AGR such as to redeem for a trip or ask a question? :huh: One of the first questions asked (either by the recording or the agent) is "Enter (or what is) your AGR number"!

I don't carry my card with me, but I always have my AGR CC with me, so the number is with me always. :p

For me, I have only ever booked one trip on points, a few years ago. I probably logged into AGR and wrote the number on a piece of paper.

It's just used so infrequently that if I needed the number to log onto a website or do anything with it, it would take me a little work to find it.

For me, I have only ever booked one trip on points, a few years ago. I probably logged into AGR and wrote the number on a piece of paper.

It's just used so infrequently that if I needed the number to log onto a website or do anything with it, it would take me a little work to find it.
I've never booked a trip or made a redemption of any kind with AGR - yet. However, I use the website to check when points have posted, That's the subject of the AGR points "hole" from last month.

Okay glad it wasn't just me. AGR numbers are 10 digits so I have mine stored as a contact in my cell phone. Just seems odd that they would take away something like that. I know its kind of a new thing when I first joined AGR you could only use your number to log in then they added support for your email address, which I guess was only a temporary thing.

I can't remember what I intended to do 30 seconds ago, I have all needed numbers stored on my phone, but I have imprinted and remembered my agr number from day 1 with little effort and I have it written down nowhere.

I was fortunate enough to be given a number sequence that is not consecutive, but a very easily remembered semi-repeating sequence. :giggle:

If you don't know your number or have the card, what do you do when you call AGR such as to redeem for a trip or ask a question? One of the first questions asked (either by the recording or the agent) is "Enter (or what is) your AGR number"!
In the past I would login to the website with my email address and then read the AGR number to the reservations clerk. I have loyalty accounts with over a dozen airlines and hotel chains all of which allow me to use my email or a username of my own choosing. Only AGR requires me to memorize a ten digit numerical sequence of their choosing. In 2014 this kind of technical regression sticks out like a sore thumb.

If you don't know your number or have the card, what do you do when you call AGR such as to redeem for a trip or ask a question? One of the first questions asked (either by the recording or the agent) is "Enter (or what is) your AGR number"!
In the past I would login to the website with my email address and then read the AGR number to the reservations clerk. I have loyalty accounts with over a dozen airlines and hotel chains all of which allow me to use my email or a username of my own choosing. Only AGR requires me to memorize a ten digit numerical sequence of their choosing. In 2014 this kind of technical regression sticks out like a sore thumb.
Same here. I used to log into AGR to check my points and then call the number.

It switched a couple of weeks ago, I think. I remember wondering why it wouldn't take my email address anymore. I keep forgetting to change the stored info in Chrome.

I noticed the other day, too. It's annoying. Bring back the ability to log in with an email address please!! I routinely log into my H's account and I can't remember his number

AGR is probably doing this only to step up security-all someone needed to get into your account was an e-mail which is readily available. While they may not steal Points, they can sniff around your Profile information.

AGR is probably doing this only to step up security-all someone needed to get into your account was an e-mail which is readily available. While they may not steal Points, they can sniff around your Profile information.
What are you talking about? Unless you can give us a step-by-step example for how someone could access a foreign profile with nothing but an email address I'm calling foul on this nonsensical claim.

I last pulled up my BIL's AGR account, so ałl I had to do is go to "my profile" (his). It showed me:

1) his name (including the spelling of his uncommon first and last names)

2) his e-mail address

3) his exact birthday

4) his gender (Chris could be either)

5) his mailing address

6) his billing address

7) his mobile phone number

8) his home phone number

9) his business phone number and extension

I think I'll go do some damage!

Last edited by a moderator:
I last pulled up my BIL's AGR account, so ałl I had to do is go to "my profile" (his). It showed me:

1) his name (including the spelling of his uncommon first and last names)

2) his e-mail address

3) his exact birthday

4) his gender (Chris could be either)

5) his mailing address

6) his billing address

7) his mobile phone number

8) his home phone number

9) his business phone number and extension

I think I'll go do some damage!
You seem to be describing AGR's inexplicable lack of a full automatic logoff. It's a genuine problem that absolutely undermines AGR's security and credibility. However, the lack of a true automatic logoff has no logical connection to the use of an email address in lieu of an account number (or lack thereof).

Back