No parking at San Antonio

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Palmetto

Engineer
San Antonio is the closest Amtrak station to me, and it's a four-hour drive [Texas is a big state.]

It's amazing that a major stop like this has no parking, unless you're willing to pay $37.00 a day at a nearby Marriott.

That totally puts me off, and I wonder how many other folks feel the same way. How many passengers are they losing I wonder [rhetorical question]?

Houston, a six-hour ride for me, isn't much better. Ten spaces. For the 4th largest city in the country?

Given these circumstances, Amtrak apparently seems truly uninterested in Texans riding their trains.

San Antonio is the closest Amtrak station to me, and it's a four-hour drive [Texas is a big state.]

It's amazing that a major stop like this has no parking, unless you're willing to pay $37.00 a day at a nearby Marriott.

That totally puts me off, and I wonder how many other folks feel the same way. How many passengers are they losing I wonder [rhetorical question]?

Houston, a six-hour ride for me, isn't much better. Ten spaces. For the 4th largest city in the country?

Given these circumstances, Amtrak apparently seems truly uninterested in Texans riding their trains.
Maybe DA can rent you a space ... for $36/day. ;)

Parking or no parking, you could've figured that out based upon the complete lack of trains in Texas altogether. Forget ten spaces, how about three lousy trains a week?

Parking or no parking, you could've figured that out based upon the complete lack of trains in Texas altogether. Forget ten spaces, how about three lousy trains a week?
Texas has daily trains. Those daily trains make more stops in Texas than the 3 stops that only have thrice a week trains.

It appears you are talking about the Sunset Ltd. Since you live on tbe Border, you could drive to Del Rio, ( unstaffed-#2 @ 102am/#1@ 549am),Free parking,not sure if it's safe?

One hour North @ San Marcos ( unstaffed)#21/#421@712pm-#22/#422@ 832am, there is Free Parking and a half hour North up I35 Austin (staffed) has lots of Safe Free parking at the Amtrak Station. ( UP owned) The Texas Eagle runs daily here, #22 ( to CHI) @ 931am, #21 (to SAS) @630 pm.

Of course #1/#2 and #421/#422 are 3 times a week trains.

San Antonio has a very anti-rail Mayor, but there is hope a New Intermodel Station (ex Mopac) will eventually open on the West side of the City since the City now owns this Beautifully restored Historic Station

with plans to have Amtrak, VIA and Long Distance Buses operate there.

You might look into spending the night @ the Best Western Riverwalk/St Paul Square on San Pedro across from the Sunset Station and making a deal to park there. I did this once, and they charged me $5 a night to park there while on a LD Amtrak Trip.

There's also other Motels/Hotels in the area including a Holiday Inn Express and Mom and Pop places.

Last edited by a moderator:
Complain to the city, the station isn't owned by Amtrak, it's owned by the local transit authority.
That is interesting. I wonder if the Texas Rail Advocates or the TxArp have? Again, rhetorical question. I just sent VIA an email. Lest anyone be confused, VIA is the San Antonio transit system.

It appears you ate talking about the Sunset Ltd. Since you live in tbe Border, you could drive to Del Rio, ( unstaffed) #2 @ 102am/#1@ 549am,Free parking,not sure it's safe?

One hour North @ San Marcos ( unstaffed)#21/#421@712pm-#22/#422@ 832am, there is Free Parking and a half hour North up I35 Austin (staffed) has lots of Safe Free parking at the Amtrak Station. ( UP owned) The Texas Eagle runs daily here, #22 ( to CHI) @ 931am, #21 (to SAS) @630 pm.

Of course #1/#2 and #421/#422 are 3 times a week trains.

San Antonio has a very anti-rail Mayor, but there is hope a New Intermodel Station (ex Mopac) will eventually open on the West side of the City since the City now owns this Beautifully restored Historic Station

with plans to have Amtrak, VIA and Long Distance Buses operate there.
Those facts are also interesting, and I was unaware of them. Thanks for that! And Brownsville is very far from Del Rio!!

I was told last year one can park at the nearby Staybridge Suites for $5 a day without being a guest.
Thanks! Better than Marriott, for sure, but I wonder if they'll shuttle someone over to the station. I am mobility impaired, so any off-site location would be less desirable than available parking at the station.

Didn't realize you were in the Valley, that's a Loooooong drive!!

Maybe you could hop on a LD Bus to SAS or fly on SWA, they used to have cheap flights to SAS????

As for the Staybridge Suites,( good info John) they are located about 100 yards from the Amtrak Station, the Amtrak Crews stay there.

There is currently a passenger rail corridor under study by the FRA that would connect Oklahoma City to South Texas. This would be convenient for those in south Texas looking to connect to the SL and TE in San Antonio. It's important to call both your state and federal lawmakers to let them know how important this service would be in terms of Texas rail connections. See below for more information.

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/projects/studies/statewide/texas-oklahoma-rail.html

Amtrak's busiest station doesn't have parking other than local businesses.
You don't need parking at Penn Station. It's easily accessible by public transit from all directions. Been there, done that, many times when I lived in New York.

Didn't realize you were in the Valley, that's a Loooooong drive!!

Maybe you could hop on a LD Bus to SAS or fly on SWA, they used to have cheap flights to SAS????

As for the Staybridge Suites,( good info John) they are located about 100 yards from the Amtrak Station, the Amtrak Crews stay there.
I've thought of that; if going on the Texas Eagle, I'd probably fly up to Dallas and go from there. I've done the bus one time--it was a "never again" experience.

Complain to the city, the station isn't owned by Amtrak, it's owned by the local transit authority.
Here is San Antonio's VIA response:

VIA Metropolitan Transit does not own the Amtrak station in San Antonio, Texas. Please contact Amtrak to inquire about their plans for parking.

Respectfully,

VIA Metropolitan Transit does not own the Amtrak station in San Antonio, Texas. Please contact Amtrak to inquire about their plans for parking.

Respectfully,
According to the Great American Stations site, the San Antonio station is owned by VIA Metropolitan Transit. Recognize that the Great American Stations site is run by Amtrak, and it is certainly possible that Amtrak does not know what they own or don't own. It would not be the first time.

Houston has those ten spaces, but I wouldn't trust any one of them overnight (and unattended).... I either get a lift to the station, or when I worked at the convention center I left our vehicle in the employee parking lot and took a cab to the station.

Here is the response from VIA:

Respectfully,

The original Sunset Station itself may have been owned in whole or in part by VIA at one time, but when it comes to parking there is also the matter of who owns the land under and around it and who has leased active control of the building for commercial use. To the best of my knowledge Amtrak owns and manages the much smaller building in back that serves train passengers while the original Sunset Station itself is owned and managed by a private company who has leased it to a local caterer for use with private receptions and special events. To the best of my knowledge most if not all of St. Paul Square is owned and managed by a private company separate and distinct from VIA and Amtrak.

You might look into spending the night @ the Best Western Riverwalk/St Paul Square on San Pedro across from the Sunset Station and making a deal to park there. I did this once, and they charged me $5 a night to park there while on a LD Amtrak Trip. There's also other Motels/Hotels in the area including a Holiday Inn Express and Mom and Pop places.
If the Best Western continues to honor the $5 a night rate I would probably take that. You're close enough to walk to the station and your vehicle should be relatively safe from abuse.

I was told last year one can park at the nearby Staybridge Suites for $5 a day without being a guest.
Thanks! Better than Marriott, for sure, but I wonder if they'll shuttle someone over to the station. I am mobility impaired, so any off-site location would be less desirable than available parking at the station.
Impaired mobility would seem to favor Staybridge Suites, which was $10 per night last time I checked. Perhaps they would entertain a lower daily rate for a longer total stay or as part of a room reservation. The method for parking on my last visit was to schedule your parking stay well in advance, reconfirm a few days before departure, pay at the hotel check-in counter when arriving, and then driving to the Staybridge Suites parking area along the Western side of the Amtrak station building. It's possible the price or process has changed since I last inquired but this is the most recent information I have.

Respectfully,
This matches my understanding as well. Unfortunately while Amtrak manages and most likely owns the active passenger station behind Sunset Station to the best of my understanding they do not own or manage any of the areas capable of handling overnight parking. Even their own employees have to park near the tracks along the wall of their own building.

According to the Great American Stations site, the San Antonio station is owned by VIA Metropolitan Transit. Recognize that the Great American Stations site is run by Amtrak, and it is certainly possible that Amtrak does not know what they own or don't own. It would not be the first time.
I believe there may be a disconnect between the status of the original Sunset Station, which I believe Amtrak previously owned and then sold or disclaimed, and Amtrak's active passenger station building still in use today.

Houston has those ten spaces, but I wouldn't trust any one of them overnight (and unattended).... I either get a lift to the station, or when I worked at the convention center I left our vehicle in the employee parking lot and took a cab to the station.
I've parked at the station for as long as 3 weeks at a time, with no issue. Houston's planning & permit building is co-located, and a large police property facility is right down the street.

I don't drive a BMW, but I've left my 2013 Nissan Altima there for 2 weeks, no issue.

Union Pacific Sold the old SP Sunset Station and surrounding real estate to the City of San Antonio which then transferred it to VIA Transit (which is a City owned Company) who Sold it to a Private Investment Company.

VIA Transit does own the old Mopac/Great Northern Station on the West Side ( the Southbound Eagle passes it on the Great Circular Approach to the Amtrak Station) and has plans to make it an Intermodel Station that will serve VIA Transit, LD Buses and Amtrak.

Amtrak does NOT own the Parking Lots around the Amshack that is behind the Sunset Station.

I honestly don't know if Amtrak owns the Amshak it uses or if not, who actually owns the building??? Chris??

It could be that VIA owns the building, but leases it to Amtrak, therefore those you got the response from may not realize that VIA is the actual owner. In doing some research it appears that VIA totally plans for Amtrak to move into the new location on the West side of San Antonio. By owning the current location, VIA could easily pave the way to have Amtrak move. It does appear that parking is part of the new multi-use station. Unfortunately, based on what I read grown has not been broken yet, so it may be years before a solution appears.

Dallas would technically be a closer station for me than Mineola, but I will ALWAYS drive to Mineola to catch the TE and not just because I hate Dallas traffic.

(And yeah, yeah: I did the take-the-Greyhound-to-Dallas a couple times, won't do it again. And I did the drive-to-Ardmore, take the Heartland Flyer, sit through the layover in Ft. Worth: it's faster for me to drive the 2 1/2 hours to Mineola).

I'm guessing it's partly a "how much land costs" thing and also "is there an existing parking "footprint"" thing - Mineola has, I don't know, fifteen? spaces. For a small, unstaffed station that has maybe 2-3 people traveling out of it per day. I have never had a problem getting parking there, and if the parking was ever not possible at the station you were directed to park in a public lot about a block away.

I used to drive to Longview but parking there was worse, and also my car was vandalized once....I don't think Longview's station is in *quite* as nice a part of town as Mineola's is. (Mineola, for all I know, may be too small to have a not-nice part of town)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back