No PPC on 11(28)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
PPC attendant keeps on coming on the PA announcing no wi-fi as there isn't a real PPC on the train today. I guess people are upset though it is with noting the wi-fi itself is a bit spotty as the route goes through areas without cellular! To them I say just enjoy the train ride!

PPC has been substituted with another SSL. No cross country cafe (thankfully depending on your viewpoint...)

Took coach to save money this time though... And we are packed to the gills!

Hopefully they are able to get that PPC back up and running soon but I know parts are hard to come by. Just glad they still kept them! Private car on the rear today from Oakland. California Zephyr Silver Lariat that usually resides in the Oakland yard. People up in the dome enjoying it today :)

Coach does tend to fill up nowadays.

Sorry about not having a PPC, but at least they through in another SSL, that was nice of them :D

I hope you have a safe trip roadman.

Well, I managed to get no PPC (SSL substituted) on *both* legs of a two-way trip on the Coast Starlight last year. This is just going to happen more and more often because the PPCs are on their last legs. Here's hoping a Superliner III order can get started in 2013. (yeah, I know, not likely given the state of the federal government, but I can hope -- maybe California could order some or something)

Meals still are available in a modified fashion. But they have the same selections as they normally would as the SSL still has the cafe space in the bottom with microwaves. Wine and Cheese will be done on the upper level using the little upstairs mini-bar space that generally isn't used in a regular SSL. Both SSL's and Dining car still have some small holiday decorations up above the tables.

Hmm, that is very interesting because the wi-fi equipment is portable and could easily be set up in either the substitute CCC or SSL which Amtrak has been running. I had no PPC on 11(7) and 14(17) but wi-fi was running.

I would really be bummed if the PPC was not on the PPC.

I've been on the CS three times and each time there was a PPC.

I must be lucky!!

Every time I've been in a sleeper there has been a PPC. Everytime I've ridden coach it has been a CCC or SSL. Just luck of the draw. I was actually curious to see inside a CCC until there was one on the Pacific Surfliner (it was a 9 car train with a surfliner cafe, 2 business class cars and a CCC in addition to 2 superliner coaches). Interesting idea... Just wouldn't want it as a PPC substitute... Prefer the SSL for the windows.

Today on board the only complaint has been about the wi-fi. Otherwise people seem okay with the PPC in SSL clothing...

Not sure as of now but I'll be heading back north on that train tomorrow. Unless they hook another one up it may be this same consist leaving LAX in the am as train 14 due to car shortages. In which case it will be a SSL. Hard to tell since the yard is at LAX so they will do car substitutions there as needed for maintenance and what not.

I've never seen the upstairs wetbar be used unless the car itself is substituted for a PPC. About the only thing it is useful for is as a speaking podium or as a storage area for overstock that does not fit downstairs in the cafe (there is a refrigerator in that bar, AFAIR.)

Now, in Amtrak's long-distance past, I imagine there used to be a crew of two working the Sightseer Lounge, an LSA downstairs and a SA upstairs at the bar. That's when Amtrak still had a "Bar Car" and that was the bar. The Pullman-built Superliner I Sightseer's even had an electric piano installed in them! These days? Cost-cutting measures pretty much have made the upstairs bar obsolete.

IME only time I see anyone there is if someone is charging a phone or using a computer. But with power outlets more widely available throughout the train even that is becoming more rare.

Though just as I wrote that they are using the space to serve the left over artisan cheese to the coach passengers in the coach SSL. Guess they are finding some use for the space.

Meals still are available in a modified fashion. But they have the same selections as they normally would as the SSL still has the cafe space in the bottom with microwaves. Wine and Cheese will be done on the upper level using the little upstairs mini-bar space that generally isn't used in a regular SSL. Both SSL's and Dining car still have some small holiday decorations up above the tables.
I will also add that coffee specialities were not an option on my recent trip when the SSL replaced a bad ordered PPC. I was bummed out to say the least that the PPC was not on the train consist.

Early on they used to use the upper level space, but I don't think that lasted too long.

When the EB was spruced up under David Gunn several years ago, initially they tried returning service to that area again with the enhanced service for the entire train. But again, I think that has since died.

Hmm, that is very interesting because the wi-fi equipment is portable and could easily be set up in either the substitute CCC or SSL which Amtrak has been running. I had no PPC on 11(7) and 14(17) but wi-fi was running.
Actually, you had CCC car 37000, which has the Surfliner Wi-Fi system installed, it's the only CCC with Wi-Fi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back