No Train to Montreal?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Qapla

Engineer
Not sure if this has always been the case with Amtrak but ...

With the increased use I have with Zoom I have made new friends in various places. One of these is Montreal. I was looking at the transitdocs map and found it shows tracks to Montreal
1598725751134.png

So, I went to Amtrak's site to see it would cost to go to Montreal from Jacksonville 😭 There is NOT a train to Montreal!

👎 What a shame 👎

When I checked on ViaRail . com I got this
1598726184484.png

"trip planning simpler"? Not when the Amtrak site says there is no service :eek:

Correct. Pre- Covid, I think there was the Montrealer, operating between NYC & Montreal. The way the border is now ? No service until the border is re- opened.

The train was the Adirondack (the Montrealer died in 1995 or so). But there wouldn’t have been a same-day connection even if things were normal.

The border is closed. Service on all 3 cross border trains (NYP-MTL Adirondack, NYP-TWO Maple Leaf, SEA-VAC Cascades) is suspended. There is no projection for when they will realistically resume or the border will reopen. COVID will have to be under much better control or a vaccine-induced herd immunity taken hold before the border would likely reopen. While the closure has been by bilateral US-Canada agreement so far, I would expect Canada to continue it unilaterally even if the US didn't agree to further extensions. Their infection rate is much lower and they are intent on keeping it that way.

As was pointed out, the overnight Montrealer has been gone a long time, decades before COVID.

The Adirondack doesn't connect with anything on the same day from Jacksonville, since it leaves NYP around 8 am. You'd have to layover. And since Arrow has very few overnight connection built in, even in normal times JAX-MTL would show service not available. You'd have to use multi-city, JAX-NYP, NYP-MTL

You can't get to Montreal at all right now. While there are still some flights, Canada is closed to all but essential travel, and CBSA is serious about enforcing it. Unless you prove your travel is essential, you wouldn't even be allowed onboard the few flights operating. If you presented yourself at a land border, you'd be turned back.

Last edited:
When Montreal returns to Amtrak service,you can take one of the Silver trains to NY and the next day take the Adirondack to Montreal

Back