No water in CZ sleeper car

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't you think the crew already called ahead for someone to be at EMY to fix the issue? I doubt your call was needed.
They had told me that the stop in EMY was not long enough to get the problem fixed. I also remember the SCA was always out of sight... and grumbled the previous night when I asked him if I could get dinner in my room.

A statement like that reminds me of Soviet train travels. LOL.
A statement like that reminds me of Soviet train travels. LOL.
When in graduate school I had a course on methods and behaviors of managers... some tried to make themselves look good by taking control of goods and services under their control. They were referred to as 'empire builders.' Hmmm a little irony!

Questions for Seaboard 92. Who is responsible for water at originating stations ? Along with that question does the LAX station platforms have potable water hydrants or is the filling done at the maintenance base or both ? Enroute who is responsible ?. Have observed more than once at ATL a SCA has connected several cars to the hydrants.

How far apart are water filling stations located ? What distance is the max before water will normally be needed ? Before Amtrak the RRs usually had water at every crew change location. The car knockers had to check the bearing especially friction and would hook water as they did their inspections.

Have the freight RRs let their water hydrants go inop and expect Amtrak to fix ? I noticed that Sacramento had connections on the passenger side platforms and have refilled CZ both ways.

Questions for Seaboard 92. Who is responsible for water at originating stations ? Along with that question does the LAX station platforms have potable water hydrants or is the filling done at the maintenance base or both ? Enroute who is responsible ?. Have observed more than once at ATL a SCA has connected several cars to the hydrants.

How far apart are water filling stations located ? What distance is the max before water will normally be needed ? Before Amtrak the RRs usually had water at every crew change location. The car knockers had to check the bearing especially friction and would hook water as they did their inspections.

Have the freight RRs let their water hydrants go inop and expect Amtrak to fix ? I noticed that Sacramento had connections on the passenger side platforms and have refilled CZ both ways.

It should be the mechanical crew to be honest. That is what they are paid to do. Granted I do believe that the OBS crew gets on in the yard at every point that I'm aware of. If I was working I would always top it off while in the yard reporting for duty but that is just me.

Enroute it is definitely the car attendant who is responsible.

I know the Star and Meteor the best but I know you can take water at WAS, RVR, SAV, JAX, I'm not sure further south because I haven't been south in a long time what is available but ORL rings a bell.

The Cardinal gets water at Russel, KY in a CSX yard by CSX car knockers.

The Crescent should be able to pull water in WAS, CLT, ATL, and I think BHM.

My other flight attendants get mad at me for always requesting our tanks be topped off everywhere we go if they are less than full but they also haven't been stuck in the New River Gorge without water for five hours either.
Now you are right that a few freight RRs have let the water hydrants go inop because a place like Hamlet used to have them.

As far as the distance between when you need water it depends on the passengers and the car type. A diner in real meal service uses a lot of water. And if everyone is taking showers you use a lot of water.

It should be the mechanical crew to be honest. That is what they are paid to do. Granted I do believe that the OBS crew gets on in the yard at every point that I'm aware of. If I was working I would always top it off while in the yard reporting for duty but that is just me.

Enroute it is definitely the car attendant who is responsible.

I know the Star and Meteor the best but I know you can take water at WAS, RVR, SAV, JAX, I'm not sure further south because I haven't been south in a long time what is available but ORL rings a bell.

The Cardinal gets water at Russel, KY in a CSX yard by CSX car knockers.

The Crescent should be able to pull water in WAS, CLT, ATL, and I think BHM.

My other flight attendants get mad at me for always requesting our tanks be topped off everywhere we go if they are less than full but they also haven't been stuck in the New River Gorge without water for five hours either.
Now you are right that a few freight RRs have let the water hydrants go inop because a place like Hamlet used to have them.

As far as the distance between when you need water it depends on the passengers and the car type. A diner in real meal service uses a lot of water. And if everyone is taking showers you use a lot of water.
I’m surprised it’s the OBS job to top it off enroute. I believe I’ve seen the fueling crew do it at Tucson on the camera, which led me to believe it was them who always did it. Thanks for the knowledge.

I also find it funny your carrying your railway experience to flying. When were you stuck in New River Gorge?

I’m surprised it’s the OBS job to top it off enroute. I believe I’ve seen the fueling crew do it at Tucson on the camera, which led me to believe it was them who always did it. Thanks for the knowledge.

I also find it funny your carrying your railway experience to flying. When were you stuck in New River Gorge?

A few years ago on a PV move CSX had a mess up ahead of us and we ended up losing some serious time. It was on my westbound trip so the last time I had water was in WAS

A few years ago on a PV move CSX had a mess up ahead of us and we ended up losing some serious time. It was on my westbound trip so the last time I had water was in WAS
Ouch. At least you had a good view during the wait!

Not that I have devoted a great deal of attention to the topic but in all of my cross county trips I do not recall any instance of seeing individual sleeping cars or other cars taking on water en route (except when the Texas Eagle sleeper ran out of water once). I am under the impression that the tank is normally filled at the start of the journey and the water supply normally lasts the entire trip. Is that correct or not?

I am also under the impression that the water tanks are separate and individual for each car and not connected with other cars. So when our Texas Eagle sleeper on No. 2 ran out of water it could not receive water from the adjacent coach, where the toilets still worked.

In our case, after the normal passenger stop in El Paso, the train was moved forward and made a second stop so that the Texas Eagle sleeper was adjacent to the hose and could be filled. So we did not take on water during the regular stop but were delayed for about 15 minutes while the tank was filled.

I have not seen a Silver take water in ORL, but routinely, I have seen them take water in JAX.

Not that I have devoted a great deal of attention to the topic but in all of my cross county trips I do not recall any instance of seeing individual sleeping cars or other cars taking on water en route (except when the Texas Eagle sleeper ran out of water once). I am under the impression that the tank is normally filled at the start of the journey and the water supply normally lasts the entire trip. Is that correct or not?

I am also under the impression that the water tanks are separate and individual for each car and not connected with other cars. So when our Texas Eagle sleeper on No. 2 ran out of water it could not receive water from the adjacent coach, where the toilets still worked.

In our case, after the normal passenger stop in El Paso, the train was moved forward and made a second stop so that the Texas Eagle sleeper was adjacent to the hose and could be filled. So we did not take on water during the regular stop but were delayed for about 15 minutes while the tank was filled.
You are correct in that each car has its own tank for water. It is not correct that LD trains are not watered enroute. There is no way the cars can make a 2-3 day trip without refilling. What happened in El Paso may have been the hoses couldn't reach the sleeper so the train was respotted to have access to the water.

I wonder if they got rid of the watering faucets in Tampa when they built the high level platform.
Or may have at least taken them out of service. Once the FDA crackdown happened 20 years ago, Amtrak became much more "aware" and responsible of the conditions of the watering facilities and took many out of service just to reduce the cost/responsibility of maintaining FDA passable watering facilities...We used to get updates every few years as to what stations have watering facilities as well as what stations you are authorized to put trash off the trains....

Another station I wonder about is Raleigh. Did it ever have watering facilities in the Amtrak era? If it did, it does not seem to have been retained when the old station of demolished and the new high platform tracks were built. Just curious since it would seem to be the equivalent of Florence on the other line. Then again, there is no Auto Train to worry about running through Raleigh.

On my last pre-Covid Amtrak trip in April of 2020, I rode the WB Cardinal between Washington and Chicago in a sleeper. The SCA made a big deal about how she was the most senior SCA either out of her crew base (or in the entire company...can't remember). She was nice but I got up the next morning travelling through Indiana on the way to Chicago, and guess what...no water. I remember stopping in Russel, KY the night before to get water (not at the station but somewhere adjacent to the CSX yard), but I don't think our car got watered. I complained to the SCA and the conductor but the response was a big "those things happen". Typical Amtrak.

On my last pre-Covid Amtrak trip in April of 2020, I rode the WB Cardinal between Washington and Chicago in a sleeper. The SCA made a big deal about how she was the most senior SCA either out of her crew base (or in the entire company...can't remember). She was nice but I got up the next morning travelling through Indiana on the way to Chicago, and guess what...no water. I remember stopping in Russel, KY the night before to get water (not at the station but somewhere adjacent to the CSX yard), but I don't think our car got watered. I complained to the SCA and the conductor but the response was a big "those things happen". Typical Amtrak.
Wow. Do you know her name?

No. I don't remember her name. All I know is that there was no water in the FIRST CLASS car when there should have been. I could give a s#$t what her seniority was...all I know is that I paid for water and had none!

Back