Noise level in roomettes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say the movement of the train is a bigger impediment to sleeping on a train than noise. IMO the worse offender is the AutoTrain. It clips along at 70 mph non-stop to Florida on CSX RR trackage that is not the greatest. The movement can be bone jarring at times.

Most of the other routes that we have taken are far better. Station stops ( a few 15-20 min) , lower speeds and those on NS trackage make for a more comfortable nights sleep. Some people seem to sleep fine on Amtrak while others like my wife have extreme trouble sleeping. I can usually get some sleep but never more than 4-5 hours worth. Have hardly ever been bothered by noise from other passenger.

Like on an airliner, the ambient noise of the train acts as a sort of "white noise" and muffles most background sounds, usually assuring a pleasant sleeping environment in the Roomette/Bedroom at night. The biggest complaints I have heard concern the train horn but to me that is "happy noise."
The only noise I've heard on my many nights spent in roomettes and bedrooms is the clacking of the wheels, the train whistle and various panels within the roomette/bedroom shaking back and forth (the latter being the most "annoying" of all). Never had problems with snoring or loud talking or other noises emanating from other passengers.

I took the New Orleans - Los Angeles train almost exactly a year ago and it was a wonderful experience.

As someone who once experienced a night sitting on the platform Spokane in coach for six hours without an Engine (I was on #28, the Portland section of the Empire Builder, #8 got stuck behind a disabled freight train going through the Cascades) but with two seats to myself (generally that means I can sleep enough in coach) I really wished the train was moving that night or there was the HVAC system to provide some white noise. I couldn't fall asleep at all, my car was silent except for the symphony of snorers (there were maybe five different people snoring it really sounded like a symphony). I ended up going for a Late Night walk to find some breakfast and wondered around Spokane instead, and napped a bit in the empty sightseer lounge (that was getting awfully cold without HVAC, and ended up losing even its emergency battery power, I couldn't get the door to open to return to my car and ended up opening the downstairs window and screaming at a station worker on the platform). I managed to stay awake the next day, having one of my most memorable rides the next morning through Idaho along the lakes and rivers there narrated by a local going to Libby.

The next night I fell asleep (it was October) by the time darkness fell after having the Harve service stop in the dark and slept pretty well until just before Grand Forks when I forced myself awake to experience Minnesota in daylight (wasn't nearly as exciting as Idaho). I think the snorers were in my car but I didn't really notice them the movement and noises of the train definitely act like white noise that rock at least me to sleep.

I only remember hearing snoring one other time on my Amtrak trips and that was on the Vermonter a few years ago (wasn't trying to sleep).

Agree with the earplugs. I always wear them when going to sleep in my roomette. You can still hear sounds but everything is muffled.

When you buy earplugs, check the decibel reduction rating; I used earplugs rated at 70, which is good enough for me. Higher numbers are quieter.

I travel mostly in coach. I hate noise and for my next trip, probably New Orleans to Los Angeles, am considering getting a roomette. The included meals and a shower are a good deal, but I wouldn't be able to sleep if I wound up next to someone who's a loud snorer. I can grudingly tolerate noise and snoring in coach, but if I had to endure this stuff in a sleeper AND deal with serious log-sawing, I'd feel as if I wasted the extra money.

Just what's the roomette noise level like?
I was on the Empire Builder in a roomette this weekend and I kept this question in mind. When the train is moving I would say it's nearly impossible to distinguish snoring noise from the pleasnat sound of the train moving on the tracks. My husband snores in the bunk above me. I can hear that, but even that is kinda muffled. When the train was stopped briefly I heard slight snoring from the roomette across from us, but I noticed his door was open, as well as mine. If both doors are closed I'm sure I wouldn't hear it. (Doors are occasionally open during the night if the roomette is too warm.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back