Noise level in roomettes?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sensitive to Noise

I travel mostly in coach. I hate noise and for my next trip, probably New Orleans to Los Angeles, am considering getting a roomette. The included meals and a shower are a good deal, but I wouldn't be able to sleep if I wound up next to someone who's a loud snorer. I can grudingly tolerate noise and snoring in coach, but if I had to endure this stuff in a sleeper AND deal with serious log-sawing, I'd feel as if I wasted the extra money.

Just what's the roomette noise level like?

The Roomette walls are not soundproof, but saying that there is a far less chance that the 1 or 2 rooms on either side of you would have a loud snorer in the room next door to you vs 60-70 others in the same coach (without walls)! That said, I've never had a chain saw in the next Roomette, at least that I recognized!
excl.gif
I've heard more noise (but not excessive) from other passengers walking by.

I have never heard snoring from a neighboring roomette, but I have had heard rattles from my own roomette, and people talking from neighboring roomettes or bedrooms. I have also heard people in hallways talking. Even when I am in a roomette or bedroom, I bring ear plugs with me... just in case.

We have traveled in roomettes quite a bit and have not experienced any neighbor snoring problems. Most of the noise comes from hallway chatter but that usually quiets down as the evening progresses. Car attendants/ conductors will quiet the hall noise if it becomes excessive. The door usually blocks most of that noise anyway.

Compared to sleeping in a coach, this will be a very positive experience for you. :)

When I've traveled in a roomette, I've very occasionally heard muffled voices, but can't recall having heard anybody snoring. I snore quite badly due to sleep apnea and usually bring my CPAP machine, as I'm sure I'd wake the dead. Nor have I heard anybody enacting the scene that would have logically followed that last shot in "North by Northwest."

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a very light sleeper. I need ear plugs to sleep on the train. I highly recommend them.

Like on an airliner, the ambient noise of the train acts as a sort of "white noise" and muffles most background sounds, usually assuring a pleasant sleeping environment in the Roomette/Bedroom at night. The biggest complaints I have heard concern the train horn but to me that is "happy noise."

I too have never heard any snoring in the roommettes except for my husband:) No really he has a sleep apnea machine. Even the few times we have been in coach, I have heard very light snoring. The more noise I hear in coach is people going back and forth between the cars.

Like on an airliner, the ambient noise of the train acts as a sort of "white noise" and muffles most background sounds, usually assuring a pleasant sleeping environment in the Roomette/Bedroom at night. The biggest complaints I have heard concern the train horn but to me that is "happy noise."
I heard some "happy noise" from the next room on my last trip too. Wasn't the horn, but, they seemed to be enjoying themselves.

In my experience, roomettes are just about the quietest accommodation in sleeper one can get, minus the handicap-accessible room on a Superliner. I've stayed in all of the sleeper accommodations available; be very confident in knowing you will sleep quite well without any major snoring issues from neighboring passengers. In reality, the loudest place to lay your head is in a bedroom, where there is a thin sliding wall between you and the next room (there so one could make a two-room-suite if they shelled out the $$$) and even whispers are audible from your neighbor.

Go roomette! You'll never want to travel in coach again.

Thanks for the information, everyone. Guess I'll give it a try next time!

Blackwolf, I agree with that sentiment.

I recently took my first roomette trip on the Crescent, and then I did coach on the LSL, and then another sleeper on the CONO, the LSL was the worst segment out of the 3. The two where I had rooms were way better.

As far as for noise, its really not that bad. I was able to chat on my phone with my door closed and no one really said anything, although I do tend to talk quietly. I snore and no one complained about that either.

Enjoy your trip.

Anthony

The only thing that I found VERY annoying was on my last trip on the EB, the gentleman in the bedroom next to me had his scanner on very loudly and going off at all hours of the day. I would wake up repeatedly in the middle of the night with static and squawking from it. I wish he would have been polite and used headphones if he had to listen to it during quiet hours. I didn't mind the noise during the day, but it eventually got kind of old. I always listen to my scanner with headphones so that I can be polite to others.

The only thing that I found VERY annoying was on my last trip on the EB, the gentleman in the bedroom next to me had his scanner on very loudly and going off at all hours of the day. I would wake up repeatedly in the middle of the night with static and squawking from it. I wish he would have been polite and used headphones if he had to listen to it during quiet hours. I didn't mind the noise during the day, but it eventually got kind of old. I always listen to my scanner with headphones so that I can be polite to others.
That would be something to mention to either him and/or the attendant. That shouldn't be happening, especially during quiet hours.

That would be something to mention to either him and/or the attendant. That shouldn't be happening, especially during quiet hours.
Well he stopped by the time we got stuck in Glasgow for 20 hours, so the problem solved itself.

I have traveled many times in a roomette on both Viewliners and Superliners

and never had a problem with noise. Occasionally, you hear people walking

and talking in the aisle, but it has never been disruptive to me.

I have never heard snoring from a neighboring roomette, but I have had heard rattles from my own roomette, and people talking from neighboring roomettes or bedrooms. I have also heard people in hallways talking. Even when I am in a roomette or bedroom, I bring ear plugs with me... just in case.
Same with me. Never had a problem.

I do suggest that you try out the SL in a Sleeper. Sleepers are usually very quiet.

What kind of earplugs do you use? I've never found any that seem to work very well. Is there a particular type or brand you use?

What kind of earplugs do you use? I've never found any that seem to work very well. Is there a particular type or brand you use?
I always get the pink foam ones at CVS. They come with a little plastic carrying case and say something on them like they are "for ladies". The reason that they work for me is not because they are pink, but they are smaller than some of the other foam earplugs on the market. I have very little ears and often other ear plugs fall out. These foam ones you have to sort of twist in your hand, and then you put them into your ear. Then it expands once you put it in your ear.

I use foam ear plugs also. I do not know where I purchased them - probably a drug store or Target. I purchased them a while ago for use in spin class at the gym since the music is way too loud for my sensitive ears. They are a bit large and do fall out at times. Maybe I need some pink ones like amamba has.

Some people just don't like earplugs, but after more than 2 decades wearing them at work during the day on military aircraft (no insulation like a passenger jet) and in the cab of a locomotive, and at hotels 120+ nights a year, I sometimes wear them even at home. Find what fits you. Some like the plain cylinder type, some the tapered ones, some the rubber ribbed ones....buy a few different pair, and see what works for you. Takes a while to get used to, but once you do, thy are a lifesaver.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my standard pitch for Mack's. They're silicone. You can push them into your ear and still get them out the next morning, contrary to what the directions say. They really do work better than any of the others, though if you don;t need the extra sound barrier, there are lot's of reasons to use the other kinds. Ie, the others are cheaper, last longer, and are easier to use.

Blue tapered earplugs called Heros. About a sound factor 30 I think. Used them for years. Walgreens have them, maybe other places.

Had a fellow that spent half the night on his cell phone. There's always earplugs, but you might not hear the whistle toot.

I travel mostly in coach. I hate noise and for my next trip, probably New Orleans to Los Angeles, am considering getting a roomette. The included meals and a shower are a good deal, but I wouldn't be able to sleep if I wound up next to someone who's a loud snorer. I can grudingly tolerate noise and snoring in coach, but if I had to endure this stuff in a sleeper AND deal with serious log-sawing, I'd feel as if I wasted the extra money.

Just what's the roomette noise level like?
I just flew (you can savage me)coast to coast in First Class to Fort Lauderdale on a red eye, and my next door neighbor snored. Fare was $1,700. I was sensitive to the noise, but did not complain.

Enjoy the roomette. Worlds better than coach. A bedroom is universes better than roomettes. Trains are awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back