North American Rail Pass

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im sure Julie can give me the answers, but I thought there might be some good ideas out there amongst those who have used this pass.

I'm considering buying a NARP for use next May just before the off-peak season closes. As a senior, it will cost me $638, and I must buy it before Sep 30 and complete my travel by next May. (By the way, living in Vancouver, I can pay in $CDN, thereby saving another 6% at present exchange rates.)

The reason I'm considering doing this is because I was completely charged up after my recent SEA-CHI-NOL-LAX trip in a Roomette. So, here's my idea for my itinerary:

- San Francisco - Syracuse via California Zephyr and Lakeshore

- "On the ground" between Syracuse and either New York or Boston (visiting family)

- Fly NY or BOS to Halifax

- Via Rail ALLLLLLLLLLLL.......... the way across Canada ("from Sea to Shining Sea")

- Vancouver - SF via Coast Starlight

I would upgrade to a Roomette for all portions that have an overnight component.

Here are some of the NARP rules that I'm aware of:

- Must consist of at least one leg in both Canada and the USA

- Must be completed within 30 days of start

- Some strangely-worded rule that's designed to prevent use of the pass for, essentially, commuting back and forth on the same leg.

Here are a few questions:

- Although I must use both Amtrak and Via Rail, do I have to use the train (or associated bus service) to cross the border, or can I fly as intended? (If I have to use Amtrak, I'd take the Adirondack to Montreal and buy a cheap one-way flight to Halifax.)

- Is there a maximum number of legs or stopovers allowed within the 30 days?

- I heard somewhere that maybe you can only travel on a maximum number of days within that 30-day period. True?

- Once I book and have my tickets in hand, can I change the routes or the dates without penalty?

Finally, are there any other tips for me to consider? I see they're discontinuing the NARP. Is this because of lack of interest or other, more bureaucratic, reasons?

Thanks! I'm having a great time planning this trip. I ran a sample itinerary for low seaon and came up with less than $2,000 for the total rail portion, including the Roomette. That's pretty darn good for the miles to be travelled and the sights to be seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The North American Rail Pass was offered to US and Canadians because the USA rail pass was offered to foreign visitors - except US and Canadian residents! But now Amtrak is offering the USA Rail Pass to all. It was Amtrak that asked VIA Rail to stop the NARP. (VIA wanted to continue, but Amtrak did not.)

As far as crossing the border, I'm not sure how it has to be done. But you mentioned one leg was Vancouver to SF. THAT would qualify - as either the train or Thruway bus would qualify!

The verbiage that I've read all indicates that you need to travel on at least one segment on each carrier. I've seen nothing that specifies that the border crossing(s) need to be made by train.

So, technically, while it would be a complete waste of the pass, a trip SAN-LAX followed by a trip Toronto-Ottawa would be a completely legal use of the pass--at least the way I read things!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back