North East Corridor horn usage?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's something that i'm curious about, and has been bothering me a little bit recently!

I've seen a lot of trains on the NEC, and one thing I've always been confused about is when trains (particularly Amtrak trains) are required to sound their horns, and the sequences used. for example, trains approaching stations will sometimes sound their horn with one long blast, but most of the time not. why is this? are these trains sounding their horns for a different reason? This isn't the only example, but its the easiest one to explain.
basically- my question: does anyone know when trains have to sound their horns on the NEC (and what sequences are used in those situations- if you know)

Any advice/opinions are welcome, weather its just based off trains you've seen, or if you actually know the guidelines for horn use!

Applies only on the tracks immediately adjacent to platforms. In other words, trains approaching in TKs 1 or 4 sound the horn and trains on inside tracks 2 and 3 do not.
Andy

Applies only on the tracks immediately adjacent to platforms. In other words, trains approaching in TKs 1 or 4 sound the horn and trains on inside tracks 2 and 3 do not.
Andy

ah yeah, that seems to add up. still, most of the time trains don't seem to sound their horn when approaching the platform, but they do use their bells.

NJ passed a law that requires the horn be sounded when the train is approaching a station. I seem to remember that this was the result of a fast moving train which was passing RFK's funeral train at Elizabeth, NJ, mowing down several people.

jb

hmm, that makes sense, but I have seen a lot of trains that don't use their horns when approaching the platform. I'm pretty sure all the trains I've seen have at least activated their bells though.

Without going into a long NORAC class or citing state regulations, here's a quick synopsis from the current operating rule book and the horn sequences you are likely to hear on the NEC.

19. Engine Whistle or Horn Signals
The following are engine whistle or horn signals. The signals are illustrated by “o” for short
sounds and “—” for long sounds. The sound of the whistle or horn should be distinct, with
intensity and duration proportionate to the distance the signal is to be conveyed. The
unnecessary use of the engine whistle or horn is prohibited. Engine whistle or horn signal
must be sounded as follows:

(b)— — o — 1. When approaching a public highway-rail crossing at grade and
at a whistle sign displaying “W,” “W/MX,” or other specified
aspect, with the engine in front, start whistle signal at least 15
seconds but not more than 20 seconds before occupying the
crossing. The signal must be prolonged or repeated until the
engine occupies the crossing. For multiple crossings, the
signal must be prolonged or repeated until the last crossing is
occupied.
For trains and engines exceeding 60 MPH, the whistle signal
must not be started more than ¼ mile in advance of the public
grade crossing, even if the advance warning provided by the
locomotive horn will be less than 15 seconds in duration.
When a train or engine is stopped at a location such that it will
take less than 15 seconds for the movement to occupy a
public grade crossing, the whistle signal may be sounded for
less than 15 seconds provided:
a. The public grade crossing is equipped with automatic
flashing lights and gates and the gates are fully lowered,
OR
b. There are no conflicting highway movements approaching
the public grade crossing.
2. Approaching and passing standing trains.

(c) Succession
of sounds
Use as an alarm when persons or livestock are on the track at
other than highway crossings at grade.
In addition, use to warn railroad employees when an emergency
exists, such as a derailment. When crews on other trains hear
this signal, they must stop until it is safe to proceed.

(d) — o Approaching Roadway Workers or their equipment on or near the
track, regardless of any whistle prohibitions. After this initial
warning, sound two short whistle signals intermittently until the
head end of train has passed the Roadway Workers or their
equipment.

While there are other sequences (you may hear 3 short if the train is making a reverse move) these are the sequences that are common.

There are also special instructions regarding blowing one long when you're passing a platform that varies by state. NJ has one requirement, while CT and MA have different requirements. Meanwhile, PA and DE do not have any specific requirements and only two stations in Maryland require you to blow the horn if you're not stopping.

As such, it depends on what time of day, what state, what the engineer may see or what platform protection is provided that may nullify the horn rule (NHV-BOS route.)

Without going into a long NORAC class or citing state regulations, here's a quick synopsis from the current operating rule book and the horn sequences you are likely to hear on the NEC.

While there are other sequences (you may hear 3 short if the train is making a reverse move) these are the sequences that are common.

There are also special instructions regarding blowing one long when you're passing a platform that varies by state. NJ has one requirement, while CT and MA have different requirements. Meanwhile, PA and DE do not have any specific requirements and only two stations in Maryland require you to blow the horn if you're not stopping.

As such, it depends on what time of day, what state, what the engineer may see or what platform protection is provided that may nullify the horn rule (NHV-BOS route.)

this info is great! do you have any links to sources I can check out?
also, Most of the trains I've seen have been in New York and New Jersey, so i guess that stuff is the most relevant to me...

again, thanks for the detailed response!

And please tell us about the NEC between Shore Line Jct. in New Haven and Readville, MA where only two tracks exist.

And please tell us about the NEC between Shore Line Jct. in New Haven and Readville, MA where only two tracks exist.

"PIMS" is in effect. Passenger Information Messaging System. At least I believe that's the term.

Speakers will say "Train Approaching Please Stand Behind The Yellow Line". If the system is down trains must slow to 110 MPH where applicable and sound one long blast of the horn.

"PIMS" is in effect. Passenger Information Messaging System. At least I believe that's the term.

Speakers will say "Train Approaching Please Stand Behind The Yellow Line". If the system is down trains must slow to 110 MPH where applicable and sound one long blast of the horn.

Yes, I forgot about that.

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-12_16-36-3.png
    upload_2020-2-12_16-36-3.png
    172.7 KB · Views: 10

Speakers will say "Train Approaching Please Stand Behind The Yellow Line".

It is actually called TAMS, Train Approach Message System. It replaced the rule that required a train to blow one long if it didn't stop at a station and it was on a track adjacent to the platform. The thing about Massachusetts' law is it was mandatory from 7 am to 11 pm whereas most expired during darkness (although CT expired at 9pm.).

At any rate, here is TAMS in action.

If the system is down trains must slow to 110 MPH where applicable and sound one long blast of the horn.

Without TAMS (or without on-ground platform protection), you default back to the one long regardless of time.

Here is an example (which is funny) without TAMS.

It is actually called TAMS, Train Approach Message System. It replaced the rule that required a train to blow one long if it didn't stop at a station and it was on a track adjacent to the platform. The thing about Massachusetts' law is it was mandatory from 7 am to 11 pm whereas most expired during darkness (although CT expired at 9pm.).

At any rate, here is TAMS in action.

Without TAMS (or without on-ground platform protection), you default back to the one long regardless of time.

Here is an example (which is funny) without TAMS.

TAMS, that's it.. I for some odd reason thought it was PIMS. Go figure. Thank you for the correction! Always appreciate good info!

Back