Northbound Silver Star trip

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JDuB

I am traveling NB on the Silver Star from Florida to Fredericksburg, VA. My reservation ends in Richmond, then I transfer to the Carolinian for a single segment into Fredericksburg. The Silver Star schedule continues to NYC. Why is my trip broken at Richmond?

The Silver Star does not stop in Fredericksburg. The Silver Meteor does.

The Silver Meteor does not stop in Lakeland or Tampa, Florida.

I am traveling NB on the Silver Star from Florida to Fredericksburg, VA. My reservation ends in Richmond, then I transfer to the Carolinian for a single segment into Fredericksburg. The Silver Star schedule continues to NYC. Why is my trip broken at Richmond?
Ah, thank you.

Following up. The fine print under my e-ticket says 'Hungry? On the Silver Star you can buy hot and cold sandwiches, snacks and other items in the Cafe/Lounge car. No Dining car is available.' My understanding is that meals come with sleeper accommodations. And I read that the Silvers consist includes a dining car. This, like a lot of Amtrak, is confusing to a novice. JDuB

Following up. The fine print under my e-ticket says 'Hungry? On the Silver Star you can buy hot and cold sandwiches, snacks and other items in the Cafe/Lounge car. No Dining car is available.' My understanding is that meals come with sleeper accommodations. And I read that the Silvers consist includes a dining car. This, like a lot of Amtrak, is confusing to a novice. JDuB
Yes, there is a dining car/sleeper lounge available for sleeper passengers and meals are included.

Yes, there is a dining car/sleeper lounge available for sleeper passengers and meals are included.
That's what I get by trying to read the fine print--confused. Glad I don't need to pack a lunch. Thank you--again.

What the OP does not indicate is whether they are booked in a sleeper. Since at present, non sleeper passengers can't use the dining car, only the cafe, maybe the statement isn't a bad idea...O fcourse, if they are a sleeper passenger I'll just bang my head on the wall, Amtrak style....

What the OP does not indicate is whether they are booked in a sleeper. Since at present, non sleeper passengers can't use the dining car, only the cafe, maybe the statement isn't a bad idea...O fcourse, if they are a sleeper passenger I'll just bang my head on the wall, Amtrak style....
Two possibilities:
  1. The OP is booked in coach, and the statement is accurate: No dining car is available; or
  2. Amtrak never got around to updating their notices after the dining car was restored to the Star.
I think #1 is more likely. My e-ticket for a sleeper on the Meteor does not have this verbiage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cal
It’s simply Amtrak not updating available services onboard Silver Star. The diner returned sometime in 2020.
But it's not available to coach passengers, which still means #1 is possible.

I think #1 is more likely. My e-ticket for a sleeper on the Meteor does not have this verbiage.
However, I think it's #2. Remember, the Meteor never lost it's diner so it had nothing to revert back. The Star did.

Of course, we could wait for a few board members who have ridden the train to weigh in and stop speculating.
I'll get back to you when I return. On line advice is that if one boards after 8:30 PM, no meal for you. I board at 8:33. I'm debating whether to eat at home, carry a bunch of snacks or trust to fate and go to bed hungry. JDuB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back