Northeast Corridor competition news

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes Peoples Express did do a number on Amtrak. PE could not get slot at DCA so used BAL ( Later changed to BWI to compete with Dulls international name). Flights flew from 9000 ft to 12,000 feet. Altitudes better known as Indian country (Navaho, Cherokee, Apache ). Remember that was the time of dying GG-1s and E-60 speed limits.

The EWR terminal was the original trans Atlantic terminal . When first new terminal built changed name to Marine terminal. Used by EAL shuttle. Not sure when PE used it.
Actually, Baltimore Friendship Airport became Baltimore-Washington International Airport in 1973, a year after the state bought it from Baltimore City, And PeopleExpress didn't start up until 1981.

I flew home via Baltimore for a college vacation during my freshman year due to a family event in Baltimore. I had always though the Airport was called "Friendship Airport" and I was a little surprised to find that the name had changed.

While the airport did support the larger planes in some transatlantic service, the long range twins made it much more favorable economically.
I suppose there is the possibility of some confusion about what is a long range twin. I guess a consistent definition that would be easy to agree to is any flight operating under any ETOPS regime (or its predecessor ICAO 90 min diversion regime).

The first such operation was in 1976 by Airbus A300 operation across the Atlantic and Bay of Bengal.

The first FAA ETOPS 120 operation was by TWA using a 767-200 (Boston - Paris) in 1986. I suppose that could be considered to be the start of ETOPS 120 commercial operations. Pan Am soon followed with Airbus 310.

I was surprised to learn recently that the ETOPS rules have now been generalized to EDTO (Extended Diversion Time Operations) and even A380s and 747-8s can get certified for very long EDTO. Apparently the ETOPS terminology has been subsumed and superseded by EDTO as per ICAO directives, but FAA has decided to continue to use the term ETOPs even for planes with more than two engines.

The highest ETOPS/EDTO rating possible according to current regulations is 370mins.

True, but they aren't "domestic routes," either, as the original poster seemed to imply.

"Sort of a moot point for BWI anyway, it has receded back to almost all domestic. "
You should have quoted him not me. My comment was specifically about over water flying which is what the original conversation was about, at least AFAIWC.

True, but they aren't "domestic routes," either, as the original poster seemed to imply.

"Sort of a moot point for BWI anyway, it has receded back to almost all domestic. "
Some airlines, at least internally, see Canada as a "Domestic" region, when it comes to union agreements and such...

We once flew PeopleExpress to Newark it was some flight, 45 minutes gate to gate, we climbed to somewhere over Philadelphia, and then the plane pivoted, and we immediately started descending. They used the old 1930s or 1940s era terminal at the north end of the field.

They were eventually taken over by Frank Lorenzo's Continental Airlines, and after a while, it wasn't such a good deal.
That EWR terminal used by People's Express was the closest thing to a dungeon I've ever seen. Unheated concrete block corridors. All but dragons.

Since Montreal and Toronto do Customs both ways flights to those destinations (pe covid) were pretty routine departures from US airports that don't have regular int'l flight requiring customs (LGA asa major example)

Remember Eastern also had LGA - Washington national (DCA) and EWR- DCA shuttles as well. EAL even had a thru fare DCA = <> BOS on shuttles as well. EAL really did in the PRR NEC portion as their fares were much lower especially weekends with a $12.xx fare. All fares collected on board. Most Flight attendants were long time biding on shuttle known as shuttle queens.
I remember paying the fare on the plane, the flight attendant wheeling a cart up the aisle collecting money. Once I was able to fly EWR-BOS on standby for $9.
My favorite flight was the Wednesday before Thanksgiving 1967 when EA was short of Electras and had to wheel out a Lockheed Super Constellation 4 engine reciprocating engined prop plane. My last flight ever on a commercial recip plane (I had plenty of rides on them in the USAF though)

Back