Northeast Regional - Baggage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohannFarley

Service Attendant
Hello All,

The family and I are going to Boston on the NER for the fourth of July. One thing we are struggling with is transporting four tripod camping chairs.

I'm thinking its not possible since there is no baggage car, so no checked baggage, but am I missing something?

Thanks

If your origin station has checked baggage handling (such as Washington DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, NYC, etc.), you can check luggage for free to Boston on the overnight train before or after your train, even if you travel on a different train. Otherwise, the carry-on baggage policy isn't really enforced, if you can reasonably carry them on yourself. Plenty of room onboard to store...

We are leaving from metropark, so I don't think so unfortunately. And what would be the penalty if they wanted to enforce the policy? Just an extra charge?

Maybe I am missing the point of this question but wouldn't these be ok as carry-on items (as long as they are folded up)? Perhaps the OP would just prefer to have them go as checked baggage. If they don't qualify as a carry on item can someone clarify why they don't. Thanks.

I have ridden the Capitol Corridor with a full suite case and I never had to pay the fee. And we are talking a bag that is obviously over 50 pounds and over-sized. If there is no checked baggage service, they don't seem to care (at least on the West Coast)

Back