Northeast Regional, seats together in Coach

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TrainMama

Hi! I'm planning our first train trip for my family, from Boston to Richmond VA in October 2023. We're traveling down on Train 93 on a Thursday, then coming back on Train 174 on a Tuesday. Due to location/parking/etc, I chose RTE for our Boston station. We're a family of four, with two kids who will be 5 and 7 at the time.

Here's my question -- is anyone familiar with this route or these trains and can give any insight about the likelihood of finding four seats together? Or should we consider switching to South Station instead of RTE?

Also, is it likely going to be a pain to get all of us plus our luggage onboard, find seats, and get our luggage settled during that short stop at RTE? We'll each have a backpack, cooler (with 10 hours of food, since almost everyone has food allergies/sensitivities), plus a suitcase, and the kids will need help with their stuff.

I would board at South Station. Get there early and find the redcap area—show them your tickets, and they will take your luggage and help you through the boarding process.
What she said. It doesn't really start to fill up until Back Bay and Route 128. On the way back, you should be OK in Richmond, but the train will empty out in Washington, so you'll definitely be able to get seats there. Just be sure to take your seat checks with you if you move seats.

Thank you, I appreciate the help!! Parking/driving around South Station can be a pain, but maybe we'll look at taking the bus down and back.

Thank you, I appreciate the help!! Parking/driving around South Station can be a pain, but maybe we'll look at taking the bus down and back.
One could also take an MBTA train (or even an Amtrak train) from RTE to South Station and board the Regional there. Of course, there would be the extra fare for the RTE - South Station segment, but perhpas they are less than the parking charges for something in the South Station area.

One could also take an MBTA train (or even an Amtrak train) from RTE to South Station and board the Regional there. Of course, there would be the extra fare for the RTE - South Station segment, but perhaps they are less than the parking charges for something in the South Station area.
Another possibility is to park at Alewife (which has a large parking garage) and take the Red Line to South Station. Depending on where you are coming from in the Boston Metro area this may be more or less convenient than RTE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back