Northern Central -- York County, Pa.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was walking a few miles on the Rail Trail north of New Freedom last month when I encountered this blast from the past:

20211107_132442_Moment(3).jpg

Northern Central Railway

Maybe Abe Lincoln is sitting in one of the coaches heading back to the White House, feeling good about how that speech in Gettysburg went over.

Actually, the locomotive and cars are replicas, they have modern couplers and modern air brakes. I'm not sure why they're flying the Betsy Ross flags on the loco, there weren't any trains around in 1776, and by the time the railroad was built, there were a lot more stars on the American flag, even if not as many as today.

20211107_132438 (2).jpg

First time I've ever seen the steam train running, usually, they run with the vintage diesel.

20211107_131329.jpg

20211107_130927.jpg

This is New Freedom. The last passenger train (aside from the current excursion line) to pass through here was Penn Central's Broadway Limited on April 30, 1971. The next day, the train was run by Amtrak over the Port Road via Perryville.

I believe they just put the line back in service all the way to York too because I saw they did an excursion for a photo charter company almost all the way into York. If that's true that is really good news.

I believe they just put the line back in service all the way to York too because I saw they did an excursion for a photo charter company almost all the way into York. If that's true that is really good news.
When I last look at their web site, I saw a blog entry and photo of the steam train popping out of the Howard Tunnel, but the list of public excursions doesn't show anything going north of Hanover Junction. Maybe next spring they'll have updated and expanded excursions. Right now it's all Santa trains.

Back