Nostalgic and Historic Amtrak Stations Still Used Today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• old09.jpg
    old09.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 22
  • new09.jpg
    new09.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 22
View attachment 23995

It's a very new station, so it may not technically make the list, but I think GRR (Grand Rapids) deserves a mention here. It is the terminus of the Pere Marquette service and a short walk away from the central bus station in Grand Rapids.

What if all AmShacks were built to be something like this?

The new build station in Dearborn Michigan is also quite nice.

Davis,California is one of my favorite Small "California Style" old SP Stations.
While Berkeley doesn't use the station for any rail operations, the old SP station building is still there. The station itself is under the University Ave. overpass. The station building had a bunch of tenants over the years, including China Station Restaurant. When I was using the station occasionally, I'd sometimes go in to Brennan's and get something to eat. The last I heard after Brennan's left, it was taken over by a Montreal-style deli.

AVpABmmlxx1RZ9pqGyflBMj-bHR3SESg6I_19BdE1jljAY0oVnDnUm2_Qtysi5e4NNjH-PlybP4_QS9Pg-Z5R8m_asxXPHZmKlgK8IgctWM3OdCTaq5B428_A44fCdRn5t7HzQvLx4ayCy3TLvm3uVzfzlcDOL5pmC5mD_mGMcl5ACwCte6UhUC8sDy7IEjD_0Mzbp_N

While Berkeley doesn't use the station for any rail operations, the old SP station building is still there. The station itself is under the University Ave. overpass. The station building had a bunch of tenants over the years, including China Station Restaurant. When I was using the station occasionally, I'd sometimes go in to Brennan's and get something to eat. The last I heard after Brennan's left, it was taken over by a Montreal-style deli.

AVpABmmlxx1RZ9pqGyflBMj-bHR3SESg6I_19BdE1jljAY0oVnDnUm2_Qtysi5e4NNjH-PlybP4_QS9Pg-Z5R8m_asxXPHZmKlgK8IgctWM3OdCTaq5B428_A44fCdRn5t7HzQvLx4ayCy3TLvm3uVzfzlcDOL5pmC5mD_mGMcl5ACwCte6UhUC8sDy7IEjD_0Mzbp_N
IINM we had our Group Dinner @ this place when we had the Gathering in the Bay Area in 2014.( where several of us made sure the Conductor scanned our tickets on the brief Berkely to Emeryville train ride so we'd get the 100 AGR Points!😄)

IINM we had our Group Dinner @ this place when we had the Gathering in the Bay Area in 2014.( where several of us made sure the Conductor scanned our tickets on the brief Berkely to Emeryville train ride so we'd get the 100 AGR Points!😄)

Yeah - the good old days of 100 point minimums.

I had a beer a few times, where my wife picked me up. Once when I was especially hungry I got a turkey leg from their hofbrau.

https://www.berkeleyside.org/2018/0...ld-brennans-restaurant-in-berkeley-is-closinghttps://www.berkeleyside.org/2021/0...es-over-brennans-chez-panisse-tries-breakfast

View attachment 23995

It's a very new station, so it may not technically make the list, but I think GRR (Grand Rapids) deserves a mention here. It is the terminus of the Pere Marquette service and a short walk away from the central bus station in Grand Rapids.

That looks really nice, if AmShacks were built to be similar and kept in good condition, it would be great.

That looks really nice, if AmShacks were built to be similar and kept in good condition, it would be great.

AmShacks were an attempt to build a national brand image at a cost savings when nothing like it existed in the US Previously. The thing Amtrak forgot was that train stations are expressions of local aspirations and accomplishments.

I'm really thrilled that the DOT is making a conscious effort to engage locals in decisions regarding new train stations.

But some of them, like the 2 in St Louis, were really depressing dumps!
Those weren't standard Amshacks, like Anaheim, Tacoma, or Omaha. They were trailers for the longest time and were indeed run down and depressing, hence the facetious acronym often used for the St. Louis station: SL*T: St. Louis Union Trailers.

I haven't been to St. Louis since they finally opened the permanent facility so can't speak to that.

I didn't mind the Amshacks and have used a few, notably Tacoma and the old Anaheim one in Angel Stadium's parking lot. They always seemed in good repair.
I live along the Surfline and Anaheim is my second nearest Amtrak station. Had no idea an Amshack was there, thought there was no station!

I live along the Surfline and Anaheim is my second nearest Amtrak station. Had no idea an Amshack was there, thought there was no station!
Just to be clear, I am using Amshack to refer to the standard, flat roofed Amtrak station design.

I think it was one of the very first of the Amtrak standard stations. I also heard the roof was installed upside down resulting in persistent leakage problems.

It was on the north edge of the Angel Stadium parking lot. You got to it by the Katella entrance to the stadium parking lot and drove around the north edge of the lot.

Its platforms are still there as extensions of the Anaheim Transportation Center's platforms on the other side of the Santa Ana River and 57 freeway. You can still see its rectangular footprint in Google satellite view.

Just to be clear, I am using Amshack to refer to the standard, flat roofed Amtrak station design.

I think it was one of the very first of the Amtrak standard stations. I also heard the roof was installed upside down resulting in persistent leakage problems.

It was on the north edge of the Angel Stadium parking lot. You got to it by the Katella entrance to the stadium parking lot and drove around the north edge of the lot.

Its platforms are still there as extensions of the Anaheim Transportation Center's platforms on the other side of the Santa Ana River and 57 freeway. You can still see its rectangular footprint in Google satellite view.
I must've passed it on the train many times, but I never paid attention to look down. And the river isn't between the old and new stations, it's to the east of the new station.

I must've passed it on the train many times, but I never paid attention to look down. And the river isn't between the old and new stations, it's to the east of the new station.
Yes, although on google satellite it appears the platforms extend under the Freeway to connect to the old platforms. The ramps and tunnels to the stadium parking lot appear intact, perhaps for Angel Stadium patrons to directly access it from the platforms? Or just didn't bother to demolish them?

The station wasn't visible from the train. The tracks are up on a high berm, while the station was at ground level in the parking lot. You got up to track level using ramps, which still appear to be there.

Last edited:
I didn't mind the Amshacks and have used a few, notably Tacoma and the old Anaheim one in Angel Stadium's parking lot. They always seemed in good repair.

They are very definition of "soulless" though.

I would argue that the 300A design (Miami, Minneapolis's Midway station) was not soulless. They were following the then trend of precast concrete common in many airports of the era.

Yes, although on google satellite it appears the platforms extend under the Freeway to connect to the old platforms. The ramps and tunnels to the stadium parking lot appear intact, perhaps for Angel Stadium patrons to directly access it from the platforms? Or just didn't bother to demolish them?

The station wasn't visible from the train. The tracks are up on a high berm, while the station was at ground level in the parking lot. You got up to track level using ramps, which still appear to be there.
They didn't have much of a reason to take the ramps out, it would just be unnecessary and added costs.

View attachment 23995

Nice and contemporary design, still unmanned station, right?

These are my home stations…Salinas CA on the Coast Starlight…where I live today. Longview or Marshall TX on the Texas Eagle...where I grew up. All a bit old and with the “church pew” seating. The Texas stations have two identical waiting rooms…one a legacy of the “white only” from the Jim Crow days, but still there.

Attachments

• 74E31E84-6C75-4EB8-A683-6FC5F674CD1B.jpeg
    74E31E84-6C75-4EB8-A683-6FC5F674CD1B.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 4B4E6AC9-F661-4EBD-8EC8-E1E274C6DE82.jpeg
    4B4E6AC9-F661-4EBD-8EC8-E1E274C6DE82.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 11
  • B4AE4614-1A4F-464F-9492-500FDDCDE382.jpeg
    B4AE4614-1A4F-464F-9492-500FDDCDE382.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 11
Back