Nostalgic and Historic Amtrak Stations Still Used Today

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And what's in it now given that trains don't go to Columbus anymore? Furthermore, when did they stop going to Columbus?

The area where the station was is home to a convention center, a large hotel, and office buildings. Ancillary smaller businesses are also present as I recall.

When did Columbus loose Amtrak service? It was when the National Limited was taken out of service. I don't recall the exact year, but it was in the late 1970's.

Last service to Columbus was the National Limited, discontinued in 1979 in the Carter Cuts.

Thanks for affirming my memory still works. At times.

I was a passenger on that train from Dayton to New York and back close to the time that the train ended. I had "old style" Roomettes and there was a Lounge Car that served snacks, beverages, and sandwiches late into the evening as well as a Dining Car. It was a good trip.

DSC02527.jpg

The Temple Texas station still in use is a gem. Served by the Texas Eagle which used to be the Eagle, which used to be the Inter-American.

front-of-1911-train-station.jpg

DSC02527.jpg

The Temple Texas station still in use is a gem. Served by the Texas Eagle which used to be the Eagle, which used to be the Inter-American.

front-of-1911-train-station.jpg
Really nice Rail and Temple History Muaeum upstairs in this old Santa Fe Station.It is now City owned and used for Events( lots of Weddings and Dinners) and the Park where the Harvey House used to be is a nice place to stroll through.

Next door there is an old Santa Fe Depot that was moved from another town and is used as a Model Train SHOWCASE, only open on certain weekends, but worth a visit if you you're in Temple when open!

Back