Not Riding Just Watching

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So with the shutdown , I slipped off with friend to sit at the San Antonio station for take out lunch and watched the freight trians roll by. Amtrak trains only arrive and depart between 9pm and 7am. All was not lost as we discussed how to modify the current undersized station, where we could build a new one and what it would take to get Amtrak back into the historic SP Sunset station.

I go for walks 2 or 3 times near the NEC and sometimes get to see some of the few trains that are still running. June 1st there will be more running. But I'm not planning any trips yet (hopefully will have a trip to Baltimore in August for a doctor's appt)

My trip on Long Distance Amtrak in March had to be cancelled because of the virus. Also the LD Amtrak vacation I was coming over to the USA for at the end of this month is obviously also cancelled.

Being in the UK I have had to limit my Amtrak experience to the Santa Fe, La Plata and Skykomish railfan webcams where I have regularly "caught" the Eastbound Southwest Chief and Westbound Empire Builder.

Not quite what I was looking forward to - and I can't even travel around the UK by rail (or effectively by any other means at the moment).

Last edited:
I live very close to the CN/VIA main line east of Toronto, where I can hear all the trains and see several on a normal day. It's been quite an adjustment going from 34 passenger trains daily to 4. Freight has actually been up though, with not only a few more trains than normal but much longer consists. There have been some non-typical locomotive lash-ups that would make a UP or BNSF watcher proud.

Being in the UK I have had to limit my Amtrak experience to the Santa Fe, La Plata and Skykomish railfan webcams where I have regularly "caught" the Eastbound Southwest Chief and Westbound Empire Builder.

Not quite what I was looking forward to - and I can't even travel around the UK by rail (or effectively by any other means at the moment).

Have you tried watching this cam?

My trip on Long Distance Amtrak in March had to be cancelled because of the virus. Also the LD Amtrak vacation I was coming over to the USA for at the end of this month is obviously also cancelled.

Interest, I'm here watching York and Crewe stations in England

Referring to Qapla and SanAntonioClyd's posts, I'm afraid that watching my "local" rail operations doesn't quite fill the hole. I suppose it come under the heading of "familiarity breeds contempt".

Adding insult to injury I have been tuning into San Remo Cam | Dawlish Railway Cams as that is where I was due to go for a holiday with my wife after returning from the States in June. Again that holiday is another casualty.

Very little rail traffic at Dawlish now (because of reduction in services due to travel restrictions) but on the Blenheim camera on that site, I have been watching the building of a sea defence wall along the rail line immediately in front of what would have been my holiday accommodation. Very sad - I put it down to my age !!

I've seen that construction. appears it will take forever. Found myself over the past weeks trying to see how many rail cams I can pull up and score a view of passing trains. For change of pace I try to see how many web cams I can view over two hour period just to see various Amtrak trains. some of the Japanese stations have amazing track systems.

We had to cancel our July trip back to Ohio due to the uncertain conditions associated with reopening the country. Living out in east San Diego County, we don’t have any train stations nearby to visit, but we can pick up San Diego Trolley radio communications on our scanner. For the most part, the radio traffic is routine. However, every so often there is an incident out of the ordinary unfolding onboard one of the trolleys. Sometime Trolley Security even has to be called in. Listening to the Trolley is not the same as listening to the crew talking on one of the Amtrak trains we’re riding on , but at least it is rail-related.

Be safe.

Eric & Pat

Back