Number of Engines on CZ

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denmarks

Train Travel Enthusiast
I noticed that the CZ has 3 engines. What percentage is used to move the train and what percentage is just for electrical power to the other cars?

One provides hotel power, reducing its tractive effort. Don't recall exactly how much offhand. The rest are purely tractive.
For the P42....

Quoting from Wikip[edia:
engine output of 4,250 horsepower (3,170 kW) at 1047 rpm, or 3,550 horsepower (2,650 kW) when running in HEP mode (900 rpm) with a 0 kW HEP load. Traction horsepower in HEP mode decreases to a bare minimum of 2,525 horsepower (1,880 kW) when providing the full 800 kW HEP load to the train.

The third unit is most likely a deadhead move. It is just being moved from one location to another. Most likely not working just along for the ride in idle power.

Why do such engines run in idle power. I would have thought it would be useful to either have it contributing traction power if that can be justified, or otherwise be towed dead.

I don't know the GEs, but an EMD Class66 will not start (easily, may need 'vitamine E'(ther)) if beneath a certain temperature.
In Europe we use electric ground power to pre-heat engines, or diesel cooling water heaters.
And I guess in the USA diesel was cheaper, and there used to be less care for air/noice polution. But that has changed a bit.

Perhaps they should connect those dead in consist engines to the hotel power to keep the temperature high enough...

Back