NY MTA Interborough Express Proposal

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I saw something about this the other day (was it the unused rail corridors being reactivated thread?). Haven't read it through, but it looks on a quick skim like they aren't proposed using subway equipment (or is that under the heavy rail rubrik?) but something akin to LIRR cars. The basic idea seems sensible however - hopefully some action happens with this.

I thought I saw something about this the other day (was it the unused rail corridors being reactivated thread?). Haven't read it through, but it looks on a quick skim like they aren't proposed using subway equipment (or is that under the heavy rail rubrik?) but something akin to LIRR cars. The basic idea seems sensible however - hopefully some action happens with this.
Heavy Rail by definition is subway, but this will be trackage shared with occasional freight so it will be under FRA jurisdiction (including FRA buff strength requirements) but with frequent service, so more like LIRR (Commuter Rail) than Subway in that respect.

Last edited:
The conventional rail proposal uses subway-like cars with some sort of external propulsion. I didn't catch whether they were limiting it to diesel or including electric.

There's a separate proposal going around to rebuild the old LIRR Far Rockaway branch from Rego Park to Howard Beach. That's going under the moniker QueensLink. Don't confuse the two. While they originate close to each other, the QueensLink proposal runs along a more easterly route, serving different neighborhoods.

I just hope they don't go with BRT. This needs a proper system, preferably heavy rail. It would be a bit like London's Overground a hybrid between subway and commuter rail. Given the importance of transfers between it and the existing subways, it needs to be integrated into the fare system, not requiring a separate fare like LIRR does now.

Thanks for the clarification. Since they said the interior & door configuration will be more like a subway car, I guess the main difference from a subway is that they'll meet FRA standards. I suppose that would include PTC?
Yep, pretty much! In addition to FRA standards, the other difference from a subway is that it would be Railway Labor Act employment.

Back