NY MTA OMNY expanding to reduced fares, including 3rd party payment

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelkfla

Engineer
Here is part of an email I just received:

OMNY will start to roll out for Reduced-Fare customers this summer, and we are excited to invite you to sign up to be among the first Reduced-Fare customers to switch from MetroCard to OMNY!

OMNY is a contactless, account-based fare payment system that will offer enhancements and new conveniences for all MTA riders. Most notably, Reduced-Fare customers will be able to tap onto the subway or bus either with a contactless credit or debit card, smart device of your own, or an MTA-issued OMNY card. You will also be able to track your trip history and manage your fare payments through an online OMNY account, if you choose. OMNY validators are installed at all NYCT subway stations and on all buses, and the Reduced-Fare program for OMNY is coming soon.

For Reduced-Fare customers who want to bring their own payment device to pay with OMNY, you’ll have multiple ways to switch to the OMNY system in just a couple months. If you think you’d prefer an MTA-issued OMNY card, let us know so we can tell you when those cards are available. You don’t have to make a final decision about your payment method now – we’ll be reaching out this summer with more information about the options and how and when to switch.

They really need to put OMNY on ferries, PATH and the airtrain, crazy that it's taken so many years to do so.

I got the following email today

Thank you for registering for a Reduced-Fare account! Our records show that you have yet to submit a completed application. Please complete the application process and submit it within the next seven days otherwise you may have to start a new application process.
Please click on link below to resume your application:

Reduced-Fare MetroCard Registration · Customer Self-Service

Sincerely,

Team at MTA Reduced-Fare Program

I have a card and a week ago responded to the invite to upgrade to OMNY.

I called customer service and she said we sent out a massive email this morning and it is a mess. We will send another email when it is fixed. She confirmed my serial number on the card is in the system.

I got the following email today

Thank you for registering for a Reduced-Fare account! Our records show that you have yet to submit a completed application. Please complete the application process and submit it within the next seven days otherwise you may have to start a new application process.
Please click on link below to resume your application:

Reduced-Fare MetroCard Registration · Customer Self-Service

Sincerely,

Team at MTA Reduced-Fare Program

I have a card and a week ago responded to the invite to upgrade to OMNY.

I called customer service and she said we sent out a massive email this morning and it is a mess. We will send another email when it is fixed. She confirmed my serial number on the card is in the system.
Same here. She said to ignore it.

Back