NY MTA OMNY finally starting fare capping

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
The NY OMNY system is built using the same platform and technology as the London Oyster system. However, so far many of the more advanced features available in the platform have not been deployed in New York by MTA. Now they are taking the first steps in deploying the advanced features by introducing the fare capping feature, described in its New York incarnation in this article. Because NY has a much simpler fare structure and no zonal fares or time of day dictated fares the NY implementation is much much simpler and straightforward than the London one.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/new...rk~natsoc~facebook~echobox#Echobox=1640630304

In London you have to get a specially coded Oyster Card which you can fortunately get without visiting an office as I understand it, since they can electronically verify your identity document with associated age. I do not think you can get any senior or disabled discount if you are just tapping your Apple Watch or any other NFC instrument (other than the special Oyster Card) though. But I could be wrong. I will check when I get a chance and report back, unless someone else beats me to it.

Yes, but they dont have sr omny yet
Yeah, just saying you can get a 7-day pass at the discounted rate on a Senior MetroCard, which would cost the same as hitting the fare cap if and when there is a Senior OMNY.

I'm doubtful that they will ever support discount fares when using a 3rd party payment method, but it should be easy to replace the Senior MetroCard with a Senior OMNY.

I'm doubtful that they will ever support discount fares when using a 3rd party payment method, but it should be easy to replace the Senior MetroCard with a Senior OMNY.
Exactly what I am thinking. Though truth be told technically it should be possible to register the NFC Id of a device for special treatment, and I believe the platform is able to do so. But it is yet another level of administrative headache that will be considered unnecessary given the existence of the OMNY Card for the foreseeable future.

Back