NYC to Flagstaff Roomette fares

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

L

LTJDennis

I am planning a trip in June. I want to book a roomette, but I'm finding that the fares seem to fluctuate often. Any suggestions on how to get the best fare? Should I book now?

amtkstn

OBS Chief
The further out you can do it, the better price you can get. That month is high peak season. With these trains going daily in the next few months rooms will sell quickly.

me_little_me

Conductor
AU Lifetime Supporter
Check multiple days. Pick best one. Make separate reservations for each direction in case prices go down and you want to change one and not the other. If prices go down (check weekly), call and "modify" the reservation.

Don't know if you are planning to take train to Grand Canyon, but two years ago pre-Covid, they had great change policies both on train and on hotels at the Canyon - with Covid, it has to be as good. That gives you a lot of flexibility for changing your travel date(s).

PVD

Conductor
AU Supporter
When I visit my sister in Phoenix, I go to Flag and drive down, I always visit the Lowell Observatory, and some of the National Monuments in the area...

PVD

Conductor
AU Supporter
You could save quite a bit by taking the Lake Shore Limited in Business Class to Chicago. If you are traveling by yourself, BC has 2+1 seating arrangement ahead of the snack bar with minimal foot traffic past you during the night past Buffalo.
Keep in mind OP said NYC to Flag, BC on LSL comes from Boston, and a NYC passenger would have to move to BC at Albany from coach.