NYP-->ALB (part 4 of 4)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dburden

Train Attendant
I walked down to Track 5 to board the 5:15pm train to Albany with a sandwich and orange from the Metro Lounge,
planning to pick up a drink and maybe some snacks in the cafe car. Down on the platform I was directed to the very
end of the train for the Business Class car. Unlike the tickets from CVS to WIL and WIL to NYP, there was no assigned seat. When I got on the car I just grabbed the rear most single seat (left side) which had space for luggage behind it. There
were only 7 business class passengers so everyone just took whatever seat they wanted. Shortly after we departed NYP the conductor announced (from the vestibule right behind my seat) that there would be no cafe service on this train. Bummer.
He then started forward scanning tickets so I asked if there was at least some water available. He said he would check. In a few minutes he came with a bottle for me, so that was nice.

I again opted to put the scanner away and listen to some more music with my earbuds. It was a nice relaxing, uneventful ride up the Hudson River. Good news, the Fiat only had about an inch of slushy snow on it and the roads were all clear.

Thus ends my February break and it's back to teaching Middle School woodshop on Monday. April break is just 6 short weeks
away, but I think I'll do a road trip with my skoolie.

There's no cafe service on any of the Empire Service trains that originate or terminate in Albany. Only the trains that continue to/from points north and west of Albany have cafe service. This changed about 15 years ago; previously, all of the Empire trains had food on board. Many customers still seem confused by this, as not everyone traveling between New York and Albany pays attention to whether their train is continuing through to somewhere else.

Thank you for taking us along on your delightful trip. It brought back some nice memories of some favorite places.

Also, if you’re in Albany again, the train station used to have a wonderful cafe. I don’t know if it’s still there—I hope so—but I remember getting off at Albany and getting a sandwich and large slice of cake there to take to my hotel for supper. The cake was something like out of the Betty Crocker cookbook — vanilla cake and frosting, and it tasted homemade. Still the best piece of cake I’ve had while traveling, and that was years ago!

Back