NYP and WAS Lounges

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have booked sleeper class from NYP to EMY, departing the day after the Presidents' day holiday. I was able to get the lowest sleeper bucket fare - $585 for the whole trip including business class on the NER. Not bad for three nights and four days of transportation, accomodation, and meals, in my opinion. :rolleyes:

My question is, am I eligble to hang out in the Acela lounge and the WAS lounge? I feel confident about the CUS lounge because I used it last year when transferring from EB to CONY. I'm presuming my sleeper ticket makes me eligible for all three, but I've been told before not to presume anything when it comes to Amtrak reservations! :lol:

Also, I'm wondering if I should fork out another $100 to ride Acela - just for the thrill :eek: and to save 45 minutes so I can spend a longer time in DC in Februaury?

Thanks!

I have booked sleeper class from NYP to EMY, departing the day after the Presidents' day holiday. I was able to get the lowest sleeper bucket fare - $585 for the whole trip including business class on the NER. Not bad for three nights and four days of transportation, accomodation, and meals, in my opinion. :rolleyes:
My question is, am I eligble to hang out in the Acela lounge and the WAS lounge? I feel confident about the CUS lounge because I used it last year when transferring from EB to CONY. I'm presuming my sleeper ticket makes me eligible for all three, but I've been told before not to presume anything when it comes to Amtrak reservations! :lol:

Also, I'm wondering if I should fork out another $100 to ride Acela - just for the thrill :eek: and to save 45 minutes so I can spend a longer time in DC in Februaury?

Thanks!
I believe as long as you hold a sleeper class ticket for a given date, you may use the Met Lounge/Club Acela on that date. Whether you travel in the sleeper, or on a regional in coach class to a station makes no difference. You'll need to show your sleeper ticket at NYP. In other words, Yes!

If you can swing the fare difference, take the Acela-just for the thrill :)

Mike

Thanks!
Yes you qualify for the CA and Metro Lounges since you have a sleeper! IMO if you haven't ridden on ACELA it's worth it just for the experience! First Class if pretty pricey from NYP-WAS but Business Class is the same ride without the meals and drinks! Have a great trip, please do a trip report for your travels! :)

Thanks!
With a sleeper-class ticket, you are eligible to use lounges in any station on any day that ticket is valid for travel. So if you start the day in Washington, take an NEC Regional to New York, and depart that same day by the Lake Shore Limited in a sleeper, you can show your Lake Shore Limited ticket in both Washington and New York for access to their lounges. And yes, you can also use the Chicago lounge -- even if you were terminating your trip in Chicago, you can still use a lounge upon your arrival, but since you're also departing that gives you "double the eligibility", and an extra reason to use the lounge since you'll get early boarding out of the Chicago lounge.

Acela is quite comfortable and enjoyable, even in BC (and FC is extremely nice, though probably another hundred on top of the BC fare). If money isn't an issue, go for it -- you'll enjoy it.

Two things to think about regarding Acela.

1) It is not a guaranteed connection. If something goes wrong with the Acela train, you're on your own if you miss the connection in DC.

2) You paid a fraction of the normal cost to ride the regional, since you're connecting to the Capitol Limited. Normal low bucket for a Regional NYP to WAS is $72. You probably paid about $30 to $35, assuming that you didn't book Business class.

So if you go with Acela, be prepared for the price to jump by at least $100, maybe more depending on the current bucket.

Another reason that you might want to consider taking the Acela is if your signed up for AGR (and you should be ;) ) NYP-WAS is a select city pair! This means that instead of getting the normal 2 points per dollar on the rail fare, you get 500 points for BC or 750 points for First! :D

With a sleeper-class ticket, you are eligible to use lounges in any station on any day that ticket is valid for travel. So if you start the day in Washington, take an NEC Regional to New York, and depart that same day by the Lake Shore Limited in a sleeper, you can show your Lake Shore Limited ticket in both Washington and New York for access to their lounges.
I didn't realize you were going from NYP to WAS on the corridor, and then the Capitol Limited to Chicago (instead of the other route), but everything I said about the lounges remains true in either direction -- and you'll have an excellent trip (at a bargain!) either way :)

What Alan said about the Acela connection is good advice, though, so if you pick an Acela don't pick one that gives you a tight connection in Washington. Also, note that the lounge in Washington is one of the nicer lounges Amtrak offers, so having plenty of extra time in Washington is nice; and the US Post Office museum is right across the street from Union Station and is free (part of the Smithsonian), so it's an extremely easy visit. In the same building is Capitol City Brewing, a fine brew-pub if you're looking for that sort of meal or a rather fine pint.

1) It is not a guaranteed connection. If something goes wrong with the Acela train, you're on your own if you miss the connection in DC.

2) You paid a fraction of the normal cost to ride the regional, since you're connecting to the Capitol Limited. Normal low bucket for a Regional NYP to WAS is $72. You probably paid about $30 to $35, assuming that you didn't book Business class.

So if you go with Acela, be prepared for the price to jump by at least $100, maybe more depending on the current bucket.
Actually, you don't pay anything at all to ride the Regional. New York to Chicago is $84 low bucket, irrespective of whether you do 51, NER-29, 49, or 43-29. Actually, something in the back of my mind makes me want to retract that statement, because I think they charge a slight premium 43-29. But other than that, same price.

Actually, you don't pay anything at all to ride the Regional. New York to Chicago is $84 low bucket, irrespective of whether you do 51, NER-29, 49, or 43-29. Actually, something in the back of my mind makes me want to retract that statement, because I think they charge a slight premium 43-29. But other than that, same price.
Ok, let me rephrase that then since you want to be particular. First, you are actually paying more for leaving from NY, not much, but still more. Low bucket far NY to Chicago is $84, low bucket Washington to Chicago is $82. So you're paying two bucks more no matter what.

However, the big difference is that Amtrak will allocate that $84 fare partially to the NEC and partially to the Capitol Limited. If one switches to Acela, you won't get that allocation as credit towards the Acela fare. You might get a refund for 2 bucks, but then you'll be facing the full low bucket Acela fare of $133, assuming that you can get the low bucket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back