NYP Connection Bewteen NJ Transit and Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

benjibear

Conductor
I am looking at doing a trip where I would be taking a NJ Transit train into NYP and making a connection with Amtrak. The NJ Transit is scheduled to arrive at 4:39 and the Amtrak train is scheduled to leave at 5:17. So I have 38 minutes.

Is this enough time to make a connection?

Does NJ Transit usually run on time (Saturday)?

What is the chance of this connection not happening?

If the trains run on-time, sure - it's enough time to make the connection.

I personally NEVER count on taking the LAST train into NYP in order to make an Amtrak connection. Rather, I go on the penultimate train, and then if anything goes wrong, there's still one more train to act as a safety net. This is assuming the trains run every hour or so.

jb

I am looking at doing a trip where I would be taking a NJ Transit train into NYP and making a connection with Amtrak. The NJ Transit is scheduled to arrive at 4:39 and the Amtrak train is scheduled to leave at 5:17. So I have 38 minutes.

Is this enough time to make a connection?
In most cases, i.e., if nothing terribly wrong happens, like a power outage or equipment failure, yes, that is quite adequate.

Does NJ Transit usually run on time (Saturday)?
Yes generally it does.

What is the chance of this connection not happening?
Something like 10%, since there are all sorts of things that can go wrong in the aging infrastructure involved, the most critical in this case being Portal Bridge getting stuck,

Since the service is at least hourly, I tended to take the next to last train when I used it frequently, just to leave a little elbow room, just in case.

An extra hour gives you enough time to take PATH from Newark to Penn Station NY in case something goes wrong like a stuck Portal Bridge on the High Line.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's from TRE or another location Amtrak serves on the NER, I would see if starting your destination from Jersey would cost significantly more than getting the NJT ticket. Depending on the day, traveling from TRE wouldn't be much more if anything at all compared to NYP. If you miss your connection in NYP, just hop on the next NJT and eat the cost of the last leg rather that wait in a long line to have your ticket changed.

Even on a Saturday, I would take at least the NJT train arriving BEFORE the one you mentioned.

NJT runs frequent 7 days a week, why cut it that close.

Ken

What Amtrak train are you going to catch?

If it's one coming from DC, whatever potentially delays your NJT train also has the potential to delay the arrival of the Amtrak train you're trying to catch.

What Amtrak train are you going to catch?

If it's one coming from DC, whatever potentially delays your NJT train also has the potential to delay the arrival of the Amtrak train you're trying to catch.
Amtrak can play catchup pretty well given the speed limits. The one time I rode on NJT I marveled at how all the Amtrak trains were passing us.

He may be taking an Empire Service train....there's one that leaves at 5:15 PM on Saturday. The only Amtrak departure from NYP that I can see on Saturday at 5:17 PM, is one going back to NJ enroute to Harrisburg :unsure:

I am looking at taking a train from Morris Planes, NJ that departs Morris Planes at 3:19 and arrives at NYP at 4:39. Then I will be taking that Amtrak Keystone that leaves at 5:34.

Now of course I can try to get the 2:19 train from Morris Planes to get there early. Or if I miss the 5:34 train I can can take the later 7:53 train Amtrak. However, my itinerary above would probably work out the best.

I am also looking at leaving Morris Planes at 3:19 arriving at Newark Broad Street at 4:16. Taking the light rail at 4:39 arriving at Newark Penn Station at 4:51. Then hopping on the Keystone at 5:34. Anyone have any thoughts?

That saves a fair bit of time - going all the way into the city and then all the way back out again. That's the way I do it.

Just make sure the origin point on you Amtrak reservation is Newark - or else your reservation could be canceled as a "no show" from NYP.

jb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back