NYP-DLB and back on the Silver Meteor - live report

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The wiki article on the SPV's said that there were 14 uncompleted car bodies...perhaps these could be them? :unsure:

That place could have been a PRR/PC history museum; over the Amtrak years I've seen the Metroliners, GG-1, E-44, MP-54 (involuntary shudder), and once I think I even saw a low level "Congressional" trainset.

By "low level 'Congressional' trainset", I believe you may have been referring to these...https://streamlinermemories.info/?p=2276

The Congressional's, used conventional Budd postwar equipment.

By "low level 'Congressional' trainset", I believe you may have been referring to these...https://streamlinermemories.info/?p=2276

The Congressional's, used conventional Budd postwar equipment.
Oooh, the Keystone.  One of my favorites for a PHL-TRE or PHL-WIL teenage joyride back circa 1968.  Definitely not ADA compliant, as anybody in a wheelchair would have to sit in the smoking lounge at the ends.

Oooh, the Keystone.  One of my favorites for a PHL-TRE or PHL-WIL teenage joyride back circa 1968.  Definitely not ADA compliant, as anybody in a wheelchair would have to sit in the smoking lounge at the ends.
Exactly. I tried to explain this to some railfans, but they've almost managed to convince me I was hallucinating at 5 years old. Thanks for the link, and the correct name.

generally unfriendly diner staff weren’t willing to go the trouble of preparing a lunch item at dinner. Whatever be the reason, the salmo
I wonder if the diner staff on my #98 train on January 23rd was the same as yours.  The SA (a woman) was more interested in teaching the LSA (a man) how to play some type of a portable keyboard device than serving her customers.  The LSA did his job, but nothing exceptional.  Entering the diner from 9810, I had to wait much too long to even be recognized as standing there, let alone being seated.  Odd dinner times were only offered:  5:00, 5:30, 6:30, and 8:00.  Arriving somewhat early for my 8:00 reservation, I waited and waited and waited to be recognized by either the LSA or the SA, only to be informed by the SA that I was too early and wouldn't be seated until 8:00.  All 3 diner employees, though, seemed to be able to take enough "breaks" as I witnessed them passing though my car, 9811, to their accommodations during both the hours for lunch and dinner.

That "chef" needs to return to cooking school.  Boarding in Fort Lauderdale, I was pleased to be offered breakfast.  I did not expect that.  But, my overcooked Scrambled Eggs was disappointing as was the under-cooked Mac n' Cheese for lunch and the overcooked, almost dry salmon for dinner.  Your comment about the sauce served with the salmon is spot on, I think.  And, I also thought the rice pilaf was flavorful .  

I wonder if the diner staff on my #98 train on January 23rd was the same as yours.  The SA (a woman) was more interested in teaching the LSA (a man) how to play some type of a portable keyboard device than serving her customers.  The LSA did his job, but nothing exceptional.  Entering the diner from 9810, I had to wait much too long to even be recognized as standing there, let alone being seated.  Odd dinner times were only offered:  5:00, 5:30, 6:30, and 8:00.  Arriving somewhat early for my 8:00 reservation, I waited and waited and waited to be recognized by either the LSA or the SA, only to be informed by the SA that I was too early and wouldn't be seated until 8:00.  All 3 diner employees, though, seemed to be able to take enough "breaks" as I witnessed them passing though my car, 9811, to their accommodations during both the hours for lunch and dinner.

That "chef" needs to return to cooking school.  Boarding in Fort Lauderdale, I was pleased to be offered breakfast.  I did not expect that.  But, my overcooked Scrambled Eggs was disappointing as was the under-cooked Mac n' Cheese for lunch and the overcooked, almost dry salmon for dinner.  Your comment about the sauce served with the salmon is spot on, I think.  And, I also thought the rice pilaf was flavorful .  
Rick was our server in the dining car, if that rings a bell. He was pretty bizarrely rude. For example at dinner, when he came to our table (of four) with our meal and asked “Which one of you is having the salmon”, and I said that it’s me, he just completely ignored me, kept on asking, and kept on ignoring my response, until he eventually recognized my existence with a “I HEARD YOU, AND I KNOW YOU GOT THE SALMON. WHO ELSE HAD SALMON?”. No one else got salmon.

Instead of just ignoring me every time and waiting for someone else to say they had salmon, how hard would it be to recognize my existence just once?  <_<

And Amtrak told you what when you reported this jerk?
I really don't think it's worth it to call and report people for this stuff. People have bad days, and I have more productive things I can spend my time on. If he was REALLY rude, I would, but this just didn't feel worth it.

I really don't think it's worth it to call and report people for this stuff. People have bad days, and I have more productive things I can spend my time on. If he was REALLY rude, I would, but this just didn't feel worth it.
Unfortunate encounter, but I agree, sometimes it is just better to FUHGEDDABOUTIT and move on!

I wonder if it's the same man who was on 98 when I went up recently (I did a splurge on top of a splurge--roomette from DLB to WPK after the wonderful TPS tour :) ) so had a late breakfast and early lunch :p .

He was thin and very pale--had almost white hair, I think--does that sound like the one in your dining car, cpotish?

I've run into him once before. He seems slightly on edge and a bit abrupt, which could appear rude, although I don't think he means to be.

I just turned on the charm (which I can get away with at my age :) ) and said what a treat it was to have a meal in the lovely new dining car, and he and the other server were fine with me. I waved to them as I left after lunch, and they smiled and waved back. (Either they were being friendly or they were just thankful to see me go :giggle: .)

He was thin and very pale--had almost white hair, I think--does that sound like the one in your dining car, cpotisch?

I've run into him once before. He seems slightly on edge and a bit abrupt, which could appear rude, although I don't think he means to be.
Yep, that's definitely him! You seriously took the words right out of my mouth!

I agree that he didn't seem malicious per se (one of the reasons I didn't want to report him), but rather just a bit on edge and indeed abrupt. For example when he brought our lunch over and was having a hard time getting my plate down in front of me, and I started to reach up to take the plate and put it down myself, he just gave me this odd sort of frantic and confused expression. Not mean, but just kind of overwhelmed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, that explains it. I don't think he's rude on purpose--I think he's just very anxious for everything to go just right and gets a bit thrown off base if things don't run exactly as he's planned them.

I'm a bit like that myself, and can't imagine being in that type of job with that personality--must be very stressful for him. I know I could never do it! :) :p

Back