NYP-FUL Cardinal/Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cal

Engineer
Time for another! Taking my first transcontinental rail trip, first the Cardinal and transferring to the Chief. It still be more or less detailed.

Woke up a bit before 6, and got ready quickly. We were at the Metropolitan Lounge by 6:10. Track was announced early in the lounge and we headed to track 11. Our SCA, Melanie, greeted us and directed us to our room. The hallways Are tighter than I imagined!

As we settled in, we heard our SCA telling a passenger that masks must be worn despite vaccination status with a tone. Also overheard her talk to the conductor about it with the same tone.

As we got settled in we found out something had spilled in one of our bags.Used all the towels in the room to clean up. I put the used towels jn the towels bin of the shower room and grabbed the towel I saw in there. When the SCA checked in on us she asked about it as she saw the large towel instead of the usual smaller ones. While explaining what happens she kinda sighed and went off to get more towels for the shower. She came back a minute or so later and asked where the dirty ones were, got them, and finished the introduction. About 5 minutes later she replenished the smaller towels in our room.

Just left Trenton, and happy to be back on board. We’ve been going 110 for a good part of the journey so far

Quick word on my next leg, was originally in car 332 but the ticket that was printed this morning is now car 330. Seems like they were expecting to have 3-4 sleepers? (Including transdorm)

Quick word on my next leg, was originally in car 332 but the ticket that was printed this morning is now car 330. Seems like they were expecting to have 3-4 sleepers? (Including transdorm)
Was initially gonna be in room 2, upstairs. Now in room 13, downstairs. 😕

Arriving into WAS. The journey down the NEC was nice. Before arriving into WAS I went to the door to see the yards before being told to move for safety. Ok. Went to the cafe car. A minute later I’m told it’s closed and I must go back. I’m not sure why you can’t sit in the cafe when it’s closed, but oh well.

Look at the brighter side - you get to visit the platform every time your car's door is open. Photo opportunities increase.
True, that is a bonus. and the shower is right there. Although it also means more stair climbing

Just left Washington. Melanie (the SCA) is saying that if we want to have our masks off, the door and curtain must be closed and secured.

Been enjoying the more scenic and green ride through Virginia. Currently in line at the cafe car.

An announcement was made in the cafe car (by my SCA) saying no outside food or drink and no laptops/tablets allowed. Is that always the case? Not sure why it would be so different between eastern and western routes.

Been enjoying the more scenic and green ride through Virginia. Currently in line at the cafe car.

An announcement was made in the cafe car (by my SCA) saying no outside food or drink and no laptops/tablets allowed. Is that always the case? Not sure why it would be so different between eastern and western routes.
I have seen plenty of tablets and laptops being used by passengers in the cafe cars on eastern trains.

I don't recall seeing people with outside food in the cafe cars on eastern trains but I don't recall an announcement prohibiting it either.

I have seen plenty of tablets and laptops being used by passengers in the cafe cars on eastern trains.

I don't recall seeing people with outside food in the cafe cars on eastern trains but I don't recall an announcement prohibiting it either.
I thought it felt weird. Probably won’t be spending much time in the cafe, too many rules. I was asked to leave earlier since it was closed as well.

Most likely has to do with the limited amount of table space available for passenger use since car is also used as a diner for sleeper service.
Trying to keep space available for passengers eating, etc.
Our SCA also is only serving meals in room! No eating in the cafe, half of the car (I believe the larger half as well) is occupied by three-four crew members.

Our SCA also is only serving meals in room! No eating in the cafe, half of the car (I believe the larger half as well) is occupied by three-four crew members.
If you can't bring in outside food to the cafe car, and you can't eat the cafe food in the cafe car, and you can't work on your tablet or laptop in the cafe car, what is the cafe car good for? Oh wait, I forgot, it's the crew lounge.

If you can't bring in outside food to the cafe car, and you can't eat the cafe food in the cafe car, and you can't work on your tablet or laptop in the cafe car, what is the cafe car good for? Oh wait, I forgot, it's the crew lounge.
Whoops, I meant they aren’t giving us the option to eat the flex meals in the cafe car. Food from the cafe is the only food allowed.

I know that this hasn’t bothered just me though, she told an elderly man and a woman these rules, which resulted in the man going back to coach and the woman was upset. From what I heard she’s travelled on Amtrak several times before and this is a first.

Frankly, these East Coast to Chicago trains have forever been weird and each individual run a rule unto itself, and as usual Amtrak has proved to be incapable of getting their OBS folks to heel on these trains and follow any set policy. So nothing new there I am afraid.

We are now pulling out of Charlottesville. Stayed there about 10-15 minutes, a good amount of people (10-15) boarded in coach and I believe two got on the sleeper. I went up and got a picture of the engine along with an elderly gentlemen traveling in the sleeper. We are about 30 minutes late, I hope we don’t get much later as I want to see New River Gorge in daylight. However the scenery is supposed to get good soon, so I’m looking forward to that.

As we were pulling into Charlottesville I saw the hill that Monticello is on, it was neat seeing it as we went on a tour there two weeks ago when we arrived by motor home.

Now I’m gonna finish my goldbergs episode I was watching prior to our arrival.

Attachments

• A361990E-3571-4338-B766-40FC5BC438E2.jpeg
    A361990E-3571-4338-B766-40FC5BC438E2.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 20
  • AD20BAE1-B651-44C4-BB51-0ECDF7B858FD.jpeg
    AD20BAE1-B651-44C4-BB51-0ECDF7B858FD.jpeg
    126.2 KB · Views: 20
A word about lunch, at about a quarter after 11 our SCA asked for our lunch and dinner orders. For lunch we decided to just get some blondies (for later) and drinks, as we weren’t that hungry. We also went to the cafe car where I got the cheese and cracker plate. For dinner we both got the spaghetti which is my favorite flex meal, I’ll let y’all know how that goes.

That's how it was done back in September - in both directions with different OBS.

We are now pulling out of Charlottesville. Stayed there about 10-15 minutes, a good amount of people (10-15) boarded in coach and I believe two got on the sleeper. I went up and got a picture of the engine along with an elderly gentlemen traveling in the sleeper. We are about 30 minutes late, I hope we don’t get much later as I want to see New River Gorge in daylight. However the scenery is supposed to get good soon, so I’m looking forward to that.

As we were pulling into Charlottesville I saw the hill that Monticello is on, it was neat seeing it as we went on a tour there two weeks ago when we arrived by motor home.

Now I’m gonna finish my goldbergs episode I was watching prior to our arrival.
Nice xxxxxxx track

Last edited:
Back