NYP-FUL Cardinal/Southwest Chief

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now in the Pennsylvania Room of the Metropolitan Lounge. Snacks are back in the lounge.

by the way the coffee station was in use on the cardinal, not sure if anything other than coffee was available. The SCA just said coffee was available

Attachments

• EC7D6103-E293-4A62-BADE-BC64392B541D.jpeg
    EC7D6103-E293-4A62-BADE-BC64392B541D.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 24
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 24
Empire builder was just called to board. We moved downstairs and are now waiting at a table for boarding. There’s a group of Amish here waiting for 3 as well, I wonder how far they’re going. I believe some Amish also boarded the EB.

Just boarded the Chief, I believe a Boy Scout troop is on board. Room on the right side, downstairs.

There’s a baggage car on the rear, unfortunately that means the railfan window is partly obstructed.

Currently racing down the track. Our SCA has checked in on us, he’s very friendly. The LSA also came and took dinner reservations. Will probably be unpacking soon. 😁😁😁😁

Attachments

• 8CB8CB3A-2F2F-4E8D-916B-42F3909BD0B8.jpeg
    8CB8CB3A-2F2F-4E8D-916B-42F3909BD0B8.jpeg
    42.8 KB · Views: 21
I think a BNSF intermodal’s knuckle broke. Passed a few engines that had a few cars, then about a minute or so later a bunch of cars with no engines.

Just passed our sister train, which is quite late. I’ve been in the SSL relaxing since Aurora. I know many on here don’t enjoy the scenery in the Midwest, but I find it pleasant. Very different from Southern California. Loving the horn sequences they are happening often.

Unfortunately many, including a handful of scouts, aren’t following the mask mandate. Meanwhile cases are rising…

Galesburg is next, and I’ll be on the cam sending info to the viewers. 😀

From an announcement, it seems that the downstairs seating in the SSL is open! Although only for consumption of food from the cafe.
That is the by the book standard. If the lower is the service area, it does not allow outside food unless you have also bought something from the cafe
.7. Personal Food and Beverage (Non-Amtrak) a) May be consumed by customers in the following locations. • Any Coach seat. • Any Sleeping Car accommodation (both alcohol and non-alcohol beverages permitted). • Upper level of Superliner Lounge Cars. • Acela equipment. • Empire Service equipment. • Northeast Regional Café Cars. • Auto Train lower level of Sleeper Lounge Car only when the service area is in the upper level. • Auto Train upper level of Sleeper Lounge Car only when the service area is on the lower level. • Sleeper Lounge Car (Sleeping Car Customers only) single level included. b) All other Food Service Cars are intended for the consumption of only Amtrak provided meals, snacks and beverages, with the following exceptions. • When a customer makes a purchase from the long distance Lounge Car, only then may the customer consume personal food and beverages in the lower level of a Superliner Lounge Car. • Customers are prohibited from consuming personal food and beverage items in all single level Long Distance Lounge and all Dining Cars.

Just passed our sister train, which is quite late. I’ve been in the SSL relaxing since Aurora. I know many on here don’t enjoy the scenery in the Midwest, but I find it pleasant. Very different from Southern California. Loving the horn sequences they are happening often.

Unfortunately many, including a handful of scouts, aren’t following the mask mandate. Meanwhile cases are rising…

Galesburg is next, and I’ll be on the cam sending info to the viewers. 😀
Mention that to the Conductor about the Masks, all Crew is supposed to enforce it!

Two hours later, I’m back from dinner. It was announced just as I finished my last post.

It was GREAT. We were seated with an engineer from the Zephyr (Reno-Winnemuca) named Ron and his wife. We had great conversation with them, mostly about railroading and Amtrak in particular (I brought up AU). The LSA, chuck, got our orders. The salad was good. The steak was really good. Cooked perfectly, I loved it. The baked potato gets a thumbs up as well. For dessert I got the cheesecake while the others ordered everything else. All of us cleaned our plates, it was great. The only complaint is that the carrot and cheesecake portions were a bit small (especially compared to the large chocolate cake). However afterwards we were all full. Can’t wait for breakfast tomorrow.

We saw a full rainbow while eating, that was quite a sight. And a conductor showed me a derailment (or the cleanup) that we passed. Apparently it happened about a week ago due to floods.

Overall, amazing experience. So glad it’s back! Now gonna relax, catch up on AU, and probably head to bed. Although I do plan to step out at Kansas City

Attachments

• 2869E2F2-0D33-473E-9FF9-EFC9427B3769.jpeg
    2869E2F2-0D33-473E-9FF9-EFC9427B3769.jpeg
    75.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 5321A541-8B98-4C59-B143-02730006EA19.jpeg
    5321A541-8B98-4C59-B143-02730006EA19.jpeg
    77.7 KB · Views: 40
  • EAB582D4-9D95-4F28-B172-A0E34F62806A.jpeg
    EAB582D4-9D95-4F28-B172-A0E34F62806A.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 93D09164-BFEB-47A2-A037-EFEAC27AC920.jpeg
    93D09164-BFEB-47A2-A037-EFEAC27AC920.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 2CA57A96-E03E-496B-8316-92622F9B2C88.jpeg
    2CA57A96-E03E-496B-8316-92622F9B2C88.jpeg
    64 KB · Views: 40
  • E975E9C2-6209-4605-A10B-E016BDB930EB.jpeg
    E975E9C2-6209-4605-A10B-E016BDB930EB.jpeg
    81.3 KB · Views: 39
  • F3B18E86-1C75-4E72-A83F-926E68E1D1B4.jpeg
    F3B18E86-1C75-4E72-A83F-926E68E1D1B4.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 39
Two hours later, I’m back from dinner. It was announced just as I finished my last post.

It was GREAT. We were seated with an engineer from the Zephyr (Reno-Winnemuca) named Ron and his wife. We had great conversation with them, mostly about railroading and Amtrak in particular (I brought up AU). The LSA, chuck, got our orders. The salad was good. The steak was really good. Cooked perfectly, I loved it. The baked potato gets a thumbs up as well. For dessert I got the cheesecake while the others ordered everything else. All of us cleaned our plates, it was great. The only complaint is that the carrot and cheesecake portions were a bit small (especially compared to the large chocolate cake). However afterwards we were all full. Can’t wait for breakfast tomorrow.

We saw a full rainbow while eating, that was quite a sight. And a conductor showed me a derailment (or the cleanup) that we passed. Apparently it happened about a week ago due to floods.

Overall, amazing experience. So glad it’s back! Now gonna relax, catch up on AU, and probably head to bed. Although I do plan to step out at Kansas City
Fantastic!😎

We were seated with an engineer from the Zephyr (Reno-Winnemuca) named Ron and his wife.
I wonder if that is the Ron I know. Lives in Reno, owns a caboose I've stayed at that is kept at a little museum dedicated to hobo culture in Weed. The place has a couple of other cabooses including the 1893 one that used to belong to Utah Phillips, activist and musician.

I wonder if that is the Ron I know. Lives in Reno, owns a caboose I've stayed at that is kept at a little museum dedicated to hobo culture in Weed. The place has a couple of other cabooses including the 1893 one that used to belong to Utah Phillips, activist and musician.
That’s quite possible. He gave me his card for the RWU (railroad workers United). Do you know if he’s part of that group?

Back