NYP renovations?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A friend of mine is traveling through NYP on Tuesday, November 26 and back again on Friday, November 29. I had heard there are/will be renovations to NYP--will any of that be going on during that time? I also have given her one of my paper lounge tickets for the Acela lounge--will that be under renovation during that period?

She is going up on NJ Transit, then taking the Ethan Allen from NYP. Reverse trip will be Empire Service to NYP and then NJ Transit.

She is an infrequent train traveler (although she deals with NYP in general a whole lot better than I do!), and I would like her to be aware of and prepared for anything out of the ordinary.

Thanks to all of you for any information.

The construction is all in the LIRR corridor. You have no idea its happening if you stay in the NJT and Amtrak side

The construction/renovation is in the Moynihan Train Hall in the Old Post Office next door. It will be connected to the current NYP, but Amtrak will not move until I think 2021. At that time, all Amtrak services will be there. Until then, there are no changes.

Well, actually there will be a lot of construction at the LIRR level east-west corridor at the so called Arrival Level for Amtrak/NJT. A large number of concessions there were notified to be shutting down for the duration. So there is more construction than just at the Moynihan Concourse.

Oh, I see--it's all happening later? Thanks again, Dave.

No, the Moynihan Train Hall work is taking place in the old Post Office building. That is not the construction within Penn Station. The work taking place in Penn Station is renovation and expansion of the Long Island Railroad portion of the station. That work started last June and is taking place now. The LIRR section of Penn is north of the Amtrak and NJ Transit area, but passengers heading to and from the 1-2-3 Line Seventh Avenue subway station may pass through the area heading to Amtrak. Bottom line: it should not be an issue.

Penn Station LIRR Project

Last edited:
Am I correct to assume NJ Transit will take over the former Amtrak space when the new train hall is ready or will Amtrak keep both facilities? It seems as though work is constantly going on at Penn Station these days.

Am I correct to assume NJ Transit will take over the former Amtrak space when the new train hall is ready or will Amtrak keep both facilities?

It depends on what day of the week you ask. I don't doubt NJT will take on a greater role but there will likely be an Amtrak presence in the current station. After all, when a train arrives from NJ, there is a good chance you're pointed at the old station. Additionally, if you're exiting on entering from the east side, are you really going to walk past the old station and go to the new station to find your train?

Not likely. They may not have a great deal of staffing or services, but I'd venture to say someone will have to maintain a watch on the old station. It may just be a few red caps.

I'm hoping someone here can answer this question. I did call Amtrak directly, but the rep I spoke with, while very friendly, wasn't able to tell me for sure.

We are leaving on the Lake Shore Limited, in a roomette, on April 4. When I booked the tix, I received the message below on my screen. I just can't figure out if this is referring to the general waiting area only, or if the Acela Lounge is being affected as well. I'd like to get to the station nice and early, but don't want to be there too far in advance if we can't hang out in the Acela Lounge. Being in the middle of Penn Station with our luggage in tow just doesn't seem that appealing.

Is there anyone out there who has used this lounge recently that can speak to whether it's in fact open now? And hopefully if it is open now, it will stay that way through our trip! Thanks.
AMTRAK ALERT.png

Just the general waiting area. The Acela lounge is open. They say they are moving in December so I doubt they'd close before then. Enjoy your trip!

Back