NYP-ROC and back on the LSL - Live Report!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trivia time. You showed a picture of the Rhinecliff-Kingston Bridge, designed by David Steinman one of the best known bridge engineers. He worked on many projects among the most famous, the Mackinac Strait, and the Henry Hudson amongst them. But forgotten is the fact that his firm lost out on the Tacoma-Narrows, his design was not selected, oh well.
Follow up question, of the two Tacoma-Narrows bridges which one was David Steinman going to design?

Great report so far! Makes me want to ride the LSL again. I love the scenery on the Hudson.
Because I’ve only ever taken the LSL eastbound and it’s always been hours late, this was my first time actually seeing the Hudson, from a Roomette, in daylight. This really changed my attitude about the LSL completely (up until now, I just found the route to be way too dreary and boring).

Back at the hotel. Between the three tours (which involved walking multiple miles in snow boots), lunch at the cafeteria, and two different “info sessions”, we spent something like six hours at RIT, and I am extremely exhausted.

Probably getting dinner in not too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back at the hotel. Between the three tours (which involved walking multiple miles in snow boots), lunch at the cafeteria, and two different “info sessions”, we spent something like six hours at RIT, and I am extremely exhausted.
Probably getting dinner in not too long.
My sister toured RIT when she was choosing a college four years ago, and she indicated similar harsh winter conditions.

My sister toured RIT when she was choosing a college four years ago, and she indicated similar harsh winter conditions.
Fortunately it was a relatively moderate 30-35º F today, which really isn’t too bad, but we had to wear boots due to the couple inches of snow that fell over the past couple days and today’s periodic showers of it. Still, it really doesn’t seem to be much worse than NYC.

Finishing up with dinner at “Bar Luie”, a decent but unspectacular bar and grill about a block from the hotel. Between the two of us we got fried calamari, chips with guac and salsa, and an impossible burger. 

Now it’s time to head back and start packing up. :(

In the Lyft making our way to the station. Breakfast service is supposed to end at 11:00, so hopefully the LSL doesn’t get any later...  :help:

60AAAD16-EC34-4E23-9A4F-09290064213C.jpeg

So it’s 10:25 right now, and Amtrak.com is claiming that the Lake Shore has yet to even arrive in Depew, yet will be departing at 10:05. Makes perfect sense.

And for anyone interested, here are more pics of the new station building. ‘Tis pretty nice.

F5719793-9BEF-49D5-A897-C5088BCA1369.jpeg

3DF21D05-AE6D-4ABD-982D-6829715F47BD.jpeg

9E03C65B-2FCA-43DF-AD09-AC0CC5D74C8F.jpeg

They just announced that it’s currently in Buffalo having engine issues. The P42s definitely haven’t been doing well lately. :unsure:

Just announced a few minutes ago that it’s finally departed BUF.

I’m now just hoping for the delays to spiral out of control as it gets out of sync with the freights, so that we get to spend the night onboard and maybe even get a voucher out of it. :)

We’re on the train and in our Roomette now, having finally boarded at about 12:20 (instead of the scheduled 9:53). As expected, this is the same consist as we took westbound, but due to our mechanical issues, we now have three P42s!

D45CBFEE-67B1-4AAD-9244-B7E45CE6E9F0.jpeg

46220CE3-0C6C-4E62-91B4-C8DEBCF329C8.jpeg

Leaving Rochester:38CE9E8D-B938-4EA9-B877-9C40169BFEF4.jpeg

It was also interesting how for the last 20 or so minutes before the train arrived, the electronic platform signs and station departure boards were convinced that it was already there.                    A226C549-F5EC-4A01-AB89-AAC582734C63.jpeg

In ViewDiner Sleeper Lounge 68008 “Columbus” now. Got the noodle bowl again, and this time didn’t bother at all with the sesame dressing (just some vinaigrette), so it’s actually pretty good. I also overheard that they still had a few muffins left over from the breakfast service I never got to experience, so the LSA happily gave me one (I had the choice of blueberry or banana nut, and opted for the former). So here is my lunch, consisting of ginger ale, a (crappy) blueberry muffin, Asian Noodle Bowl, small side salad, warm bread roll, and brownie bar:

B09FA7EF-0BA0-472A-9943-463ABF9FD9F0.jpeg

F52D9F25-05B4-4CBB-B313-1CA07C002CBC.jpeg

B23144E7-BA8F-465F-A3B3-CD8342F7AAF6.jpeg

358E458B-C208-4147-BA55-5ED51A8DEC54.jpeg

Nice photos.  Lots of snow.  (very different from Orlando weather).

Do you recommend the noodle bowl without their dressing?

Yep, it’s actually really good. I have effectively turned it into a sort of “noodle salad” with the vinaigrette.
I bring my own garlic-free dressing (oil and vinegar).  That option may work for me.  Thanks.

So how did you like the actual campus visit part?

Two things when you look at schools:

1. Make sure there is a Pret near you. Potbellys also will work as another option. :)

2. Remember that, when it snows, there will not be snow days. You will still have to go to class. :giggle:

So how did you like the actual campus visit part?
I’m still not totally sure, since I honestly don’t entire know what I’m actually looking for. I was not a huge fan of the fact that I would have to spend a fifth year working a “co-op” job endorsed by the college before I could graduate, or that it’s the second largest private college in the country (nearly 19,000 students). But the facilities seem pretty nice, the food was good (always important), and they seem to have a lot of interesting programs and clubs and such. So I would say it’s definitely a possibility.

Two things when you look at schools:

1. Make sure there is a Pret near you. Potbellys also will work as another option. :)

2. Remember that, when it snows, there will not be snow days. You will still have to go to class. :giggle:
Well done. :giggle:   :lol:

So I learned from the diner/sleeper-lounge/whatever attendant, that the 4812 sleeper (car 62040) is actually out of commission due to the discovery last night in Chicago that some pipes had frozen, burst, and subsequently flooded the entire car with waste. It turns out this is the reason why one lady we met on the platform in Rochester who is also going to NYP in a Roomette, had without any explanation received a new e-ticket that has her in coach on the LSL to Albany, at which point she then has to transfer to Business class on a different train to NYP.

Particularly striking here is the fact that that was the exact car we were in two days ago on the way to Rochester, and apparently would have even had the same SCA (Melanie) had it run today.  :unsure:

Back