NYP to LAX in coach (questions about itinerary)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, new here and will be taking the Lake Shore Limited from NYP to CHI, catching a Cubs game and spending the night in Chicago. From there, I'm hopping on the Zephyr to Denver, catching a Rockies game and spending the night in Denver. Back on the Zephyr to EMY and hopefully an A's game, then spending the night near the station and catching the Coast Starlight down to LAX, and, of course, catching a Dodgers game in LA before flying back from LAX. I'm traveling solo and in coach the whole way. I'm hoping for a little advice on a few things.

First, does the itinerary sound doable? I think I gave myself enough time and factored in late trains. I know the Zephyr runs late so I'm not buying A's tickets until I get to EMY. I'm also going to be staying near the stations in each city and want to know if there is anything I need to know, especially since I'll be arriving in LAX (and maybe EMY) fairly late.

As for on the train, how likely is it that I will have a seatmate? It's not the end of the world but I think we all like a little extra space if possible. Is it hard to get a seat when getting on at Denver or is there a lot of turnover there? Do you have to wear your mask when in your seat or sleeping, or just while walking around or in the observation car? And, what about leaving my stuff when walking around the train or getting off to get some fresh air? I'm only bringing a large backpack that would be hard to drag around the train. I am only bringing my phone and tablet so I can easily carry those with me. Can I leave my charger at the seat or do those tend to walk away? I've heard some people lock their bags to the overhead bar, but that seems a little extreme.

Thanks for your help! (and sorry for asking questions that have probably been answered before)

Ed

Trains seem to be running fairly full these days, so I would assume that you would have a seatmate at least for some, if not most of your trip.

With regard to masks, they are required at all times, except when actively eating or drinking, while on the train or in the station (unless you are in a sleeper room with the door closed). Masks are required while sleeping in coach.

If I remember correctly, there are 2 hotels fairly close to the station in EMY. The last time I was there, I stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn a little less than a mile away. I took a cab from the station since it was dark when I arrived. I walked to the station when departing. At that time, there was a Hyatt walking distance on the other side of the tracks.

When I was last in LA, I stayed at the Doubletree downtown, which was walking distance for me, but not in the dark.

Since it has been years since I have traveled overnight in coach, I will not comment about the safety of your backpack while you are moving around.

Nice trip, and you're smart to break up the trip with a few nights stay, especially planning to see MLB Games ( we have many Baseball fans on AU).

You shouldn't have to worry about your pack, just leave it in the overhead rack, but take your valuables and electronics with you when leaving the car.

After tips: please read the Forum on AU for First time riders and the Trip Reports, there is much good info in then.

Be sure and take a light blanket, a travel pillow ( a neck pillow is ideal) and try to get window seats away from the stairs and the end doors of the Coach.( if the Crew is assigning seats,ask for this).

Take snacks and drinks ( non-alcoholic) with you after each stop, the Diner doesn't serve Coach Passengers and the Cafe has a limited,pricey Menu that's not very healthy.

When you board in Denver, soon as you get your ticket scanned and Seat assignment, head for the Sightseer Lounge for the Climb up the Front Range and the Trip through the Rockies. Same from Reno to Emeryville thru the Sierras.

When you're in LA, you can catch a Surfliner from Union Station to the Angels Stadium if they're playing @ home and you want to see an AL Game too.

There is a bus from Union Station to Dodger Stadium.

Please ask any questions you have, we have lots of members that love to help!

Last edited:
Back