Observation car on Auto Train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolyn Jane

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Was stalking Amtrak tonight and counted the usual number of cars on Auto Train northbound, but one had windows that curved over the top. Since I stalk this train several times a week, I realized I hadn't seen this car before. Any thoeries? CJ

At one point there was a specific Sightseer that was allocated to Sanford that had tables installed upstairs and the lounge seating had been removed. Don't know if its the same car you saw today, or if that car was released back in to the pool.

Whenever they need to move power or cars to/from Lorton a crew will make an extra move from Ivy City to Lorton. The Capitol Limited is the primary catalyst for cars/engines to cycle through to Beech Grove.

I would assume that Superliners would fit through the First Street Tunnel? Capital Sub out to the Alexandria Extension down to the Landover Sub and to the Long Bridge sounds like the long way around (but possible).

At one point there was a specific Sightseer that was allocated to Sanford that had tables installed upstairs and the lounge seating had been removed. Don't know if its the same car you saw today, or if that car was released back in to the pool.
I've seen that SSL more than once on my AT travels and AFAIK, it remains permanently assigned to the AT as their spare/backup.

I think there may even be two assigned.

I would assume that Superliners would fit through the First Street Tunnel? Capital Sub out to the Alexandria Extension down to the Landover Sub and to the Long Bridge sounds like the long way around (but possible).
Yes, the Cardinal used to use Superliner cars years ago and never scrapped the ceilings in the tunnels. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see where the CSX tracks go under Jeff Davis (or US 1 to non-Alexandrians) from my apartment window. I'd have loved to see that Superliner go by. Assuming it was swapped in at Lorton.

I'd guess it would have been a special move? Now it occurs to me that Superliners must be moved from Lorton to Ivy City every once in a while to get cycled elsewhere for repair, I guess? Curious that I have yet to see such a thing. Seen just about everything else out this window (there are way more private cars going south than I'd have thought)!

Yes, the Cardinal used to use Superliner cars years ago and never scrapped the ceilings in the tunnels. :)
Duh, I knew that the Cardinal used Superliners. Didn't connect the dots mentally, had a bit of a rough night last night.

The sightseer lounge on the Autotrain is so far forward in the consist that its only convenient for coach passengers to use it. In our six trips on the Autotrain we have always been in the deluxe bedroom sleepers (all bedroom) and have never gone to the SSL. In contrast on the smaller Capitol Limited we have. IMO the Autotrains need to replace (or modify) the superliner lounge cars so that sleeper passengers can use them. One SSL on a train that can hold 400 passengers just doesn't cut it.

The Auto Train has two lounges, one right next to the sleeper diner, reserved only for sleeper passengers (as it's used for overflow during the meals).

The Auto Train configured SSL(s) are used interchangeably with the "Regular" lounge cars, so it's just random chance as to if it'll end up on the coach side or the sleeper side.

I think that the Auto Train operation does have one Sightseer lounge to use as they need between Lorton and Sanford, and I have never noticed it up front near the coaches.

I think one consist is running with the (better) SSL in the sleeper section - and a standard Auto Train Superliner lounge (with smaller windows, but not small windows - just smaller) up in the coach section. And the other consist has the two Auto Train lounge cars - each with standard Autotrain Superliner size windows.

It seems that the Auto Train management realizes that the Sightseer is preferred, so they seem to be using their one Sightseer in everyday service - and for the sleeper side of the train that currently has it in the consist. But I think they only have one. And it's my understanding, it is a "spare" but like I said, it is much preferred over the conventional Auto Train Superliner lounge, so they keep the spare in service every day. So you have a 50/50 chance of having a SSL car on an Auto Train trip.

I'd guess it would have been a special move? Now it occurs to me that Superliners must be moved from Lorton to Ivy City every once in a while to get cycled elsewhere for repair, I guess? Curious that I have yet to see such a thing. Seen just about everything else out this window (there are way more private cars going south than I'd have thought)!
It doesn't happen very often. Sanford can handle most of the normal work and required inspections of the cars. So the cars only leave the AT route for major overhauls which are done at Beech Grove, and I think they go there too for the 2 week annual inspection, so the cars would only stop overnight in Ivy City before being rolled to Chicago and eventually BEE.

Back when the Sunset still ran to Orlando, AT cars could find themselves pinch hitting for a bad ordered Sunset car; but alas that is no more.

The Auto Train trainsets are typically identical. From North to South:

1. Transition Sleeper
  2. Standard Sleeper - 5x45 (Seasonal)
  3. Standard Sleeper - 5x43
  4. Deluxe Sleeper - 5x41
  5. Sleeper Lounge
  6. Sleeper Diner
  7. Deluxe Sleeper - 5x40
  8. Standard Sleeper - 5x42
  9. Standard Sleeper 5x44
  10. Coach - 5x13
  11. Coach - 5x12
  12. Coach - 5x11
  13. Coach - 5x10
  14. Coach Lounge
  15. Coach Diner
  16. Coach Diner (Table Car)
Because the sets are identical cars are switched in and out as necessary for Mechanical to get after them. There's not one set that's "designed" to be better than the other, they're both designed to be the "Pride & Joy."

Northbound had the SSL again last night. I was in Savannah Thursday ands stayed to see the (late) 98 come in, and the also late Palmetto. Don't know why she was so late...was said to be a few minutes early, then lost a lot of time the last hour and was half an hour late. But I had an unasked question answere as I waited for Palmetto...Do you pass through the station if you are not stopping...I wonder about the autotrain. Well, as we waited for Palmetto, Auto train came through, xcrawling on the track up behind the passenger tracks. the freights creep along there, too. No SSL on that one...I have no idea where the 'main line' is through Savannah. CJ

The main line is the two furthest tracks from the station and maximum speed permitted is 50 for passenger and 40 for freight. However, most of the freight trains are going to be entering/exiting the West Route whose north end is .2 miles south of the station lead, and maximum speed on the northern portion West Route is 20. So odds are most of the freight you see go by is still going to have part of its train hanging out on the west route with that slower speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back