Observation car with no swivel seats

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acelafan

Conductor
I've ridden Amtrak LD trains a pretty good amount, but today's southbound Coast Starlight has a new experience for me. I'm in the observation car but it only has tables. I thought they were all 50-50 tables and swivel seats.

Are there many lounge cars like this with only tables?
20211113_094854.jpg

I find it simpler and easier to sit with strangers when the seats are separated or in a row. Booths are treated more like personal space in American culture. I doubt I would enjoy this nearly as much, especially on a scenic route like the Coast Starlight, so if cars like this need somewhere to go can we put them on the Texas Eagle trains instead?

Last edited:
I wonder with that EB accident and the loss of 1 SSL car if this is just a substitution that will be floating around in the consist mix
across the fleet -or- maybe Amtrak pulled a SSL off of the CS to use on the EB and pulled this odd ball total tables car out of mothballs ?

Consolation in the all tables car one does not have to crane ones neck to see what is going on - on the other side of the train ?

In my experience on the AT, at times the Sleeper Lounge was used as overflow tables space for the Diner, specially on heavily loaded days, back when the kitchen was adequately staffed to serve such. I have not traveled by the AT in over seven years so have no idea what it has now devolved into.

Since the amount of tint on my car windows could earn me a ticket in NJ I think my AT train riding days are more or less behind me.

Last edited:
Consolation in the all tables car one does not have to crane ones neck to see what is going on - on the other side of the train ?
But does require one to crane the neck to see something whizzing by before it disappears. The person facing forward does get an advanced view not available to the mis-crane-eants.

Def: mis-crane-eant - One who behaves oddly, often by breaking one's neck observing outside conduct or the law by facing backwards.

In my experience on the AT, at times the Sleeper Lounge was used as overflow tables space for the Diner, specially on heavily loaded days, back when the kitchen was adequately staffed to serve such. I have not traveled by the AT in over seven years so have no idea what it has now devolved into.

Sinc the amount of tint on my car windows could earn me a ticket in NJ I think my AT train riding days are more or less behind me.
Still is - especially right now with limited tables available due to communal seating not allowed. Right now they are seating singles (such as myself) in the extra tables in the sleeper lounge and then one server handles those tables if you are on a train where they are doing in-diner service. On my recent trip I was in one of those tables but got excellent service. Sometimes if they are short staffed and it’s a really busy train they’re doing all meals delivered to your room.

Back