Ocean: 2nd and 3rd Weekly Trains Returning

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NS VIA Fan

Conductor
VIA has announced that the Ocean's second weekly frequency will return on December 8th with departures from Montreal and Halifax now on Sunday and Wednesday. The third frequency will return in June 2022.

The second consist appears to be a hybrid like the first with a mixture of Renaissance and Budd equipment.

The Berths (Sections) in the 'Chateau' sleepers still aren't being sold but there are 'Cabins for 3' available (old style Drawing Rms)

VIA Ocean Dec 8.jpg

I am really looking forward to when the sections come back because that has to be the best bed on rails. And it's affordable too. That and my friends I did part of the Trans Siberian with want to ride VIA all the way from Halifax to Vancouver. And they are used to sharing a space with others already, but I can get two other friends to come and we can have the complete section part of a Manor to ourselves.

I am really looking forward to when the sections come back because that has to be the best bed on rails. And it's affordable too. That and my friends I did part of the Trans Siberian with want to ride VIA all the way from Halifax to Vancouver. And they are used to sharing a space with others already, but I can get two other friends to come and we can have the complete section part of a Manor to ourselves.
That sounds like an epic trip! I don't get why dorm-style shared-rooms are as ubiquitous in North American hostels as they seem to be everywhere else, but dorm-style sleeper compartments seem to be unthinkable...

That sounds like an epic trip! I don't get why dorm-style shared-rooms are as ubiquitous in North American hostels as they seem to be everywhere else, but dorm-style sleeper compartments seem to be unthinkable...

I don't either. To be honest at first I found it rather strange in Russia sharing a room with some random strangers but it was actually really charming. It was a great way to make new friends. I don't consider the sections on VIA to be the same just because they really aren't that private. The reason we have to do sections though is so my Russian friends can afford it. If they are lucky they are making like 150 dollars a month. It would take forever to save up for a bedroom and then we wouldn't all be together.

I watched this last night and loved it. I have always wanted to take the Ocean (rather than the Canadian) because I love rivers and am not comfortable with high mountains, so I knew I would love the scenery. Plus it’s closer for me to get to when the Adirondack comes back.

Now, thanks to this video, I will know exactly what to expect and how everything works when I do eventually get a chance to go.

Thibault’s train journeys are a joy to watch at any time. But they have been a special treat to have while I am not traveling long distances yet myself.

I was aware that he worked for Alstom. I am just shocked that his job allows him to travel as much as he does. Take a look at his video history. He really gets around.
While he's working (Alstom Missouri) and travelling in North America, his brother films trains in Europe under the same banner. He did a mini bio on YouTube some time ago, but I believe it's no longer there. You used to be able to write to him directly as well.

While he's working (Alstom Missouri) and travelling in North America, his brother films trains in Europe under the same banner.

Wait—I’m confused. The man in the European train videos looks like the one in the American train videos. Unless they’re twins, am I missing something?

The gentleman we're most familiar with does the majority of the videos on both sides of the ocean, but while he was (maybe still is) working in Missouri his brother submitted several videos of European trains. I don't recall seeing the brother on-camera, but may have missed it if he was. Thibault himself didn't start appearing at the beginning and end of his videos until fairly recently. They started with simple sub-titles and ambient sound.

The gentleman we're most familiar with does the majority of the videos on both sides of the ocean, but while he was (maybe still is) working in Missouri his brother submitted several videos of European trains. I don't recall seeing the brother on-camera, but may have missed it if he was. Thibault himself didn't start appearing at the beginning and end of his videos until fairly recently. They started with simple sub-titles and ambient sound.

Oh I see. Thank you, jiml.

Back